Diversity and Inclusion is a strategic priority and core value for the USTA. Diversity allows us to touch "all of America" and inclusion allows "all of America" to touch us. The Diversity & Inclusion department at the USTA works with all facets of the USTA, including the 17 sections, to use D&I to promote and develop the growth of tennis.
D.A. Abrams is the Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer of the UTSA. D.A. has been part of the USTA family in different capacities for more than 20 years. Since assuming this position in early 2012, D.A. has been instrumental in creating the 2013 D&I Strategic Plan. The Strategic Plan has six points that promotes D&I as a shared responsibility across the USTA. The "Big Six" are: Human Assets, Image, Supplier Diversity, Section/Community Engagement, Strategic Partnerships and Training & Development.
As Chief Diversity & Inclusion Officer, D.A. oversees a team of the following five members:
· Jean Desdunes serves as the Senior Director and works out of Boca Raton, Fla. Formally a USTA national coach, Jean’s focus is primarily on Player Development. He oversees the D&I grant program, which includes Program Excellence Grants and Individual Player Grants. These grants are aimed at supporting high performance American players, as well as programs that are dedicated to training and cultivating high performance American players.
· Bill Leong is one of two Directors on the D&I team. Bill, the former Executive Director of the Pacific Northwest Section, primarily focuses on working with each of the 17 sections as well as the National D&I Committee.
· Director Renée E. Tirado’s predominant focus is serving as a D&I consultant to the internal business units within the corporate office. Some of her responsibilities include Supplier Diversity, D&I Training, USTA Officials, Pro Tennis and the Business Resource Groups.
· Stefanie Iennaco, Coordinator, formerly worked at the Eastern Section office. She provides administrative support to the Chief D&I Officer, as well as the Senior Director. Stefanie also maintains the D&I section of the USTA website and produces a quarterly D&I Newsletter.
· Terri Arnold-McKenzie, previously worked at the National Tennis Center and is also a Coordinator in the D&I department. Terri provides administrative and project support to both Directors.