Excerpted from the USTA Yearbook (pages 100-101)
Nominations and Elections
35. Nominating Committee. Only candidates nominated as provided in this Bylaw shall be eligible for election.
a. Composition. The Nominating Committee shall be composed of:
3 Elite Athletes; and 12 at-large members. (No more than two of the at-large members may be domiciled in the same section when they take office. At least one-half of the Sectional Associations shall have a member on the Nominating Committee.)
Nominating Committee members shall take office on January 1 of odd-numbered years and shall serve two-year terms. Five members of each Nominating Committee shall be nominated to serve for a second consecutive term. Up to four members who serve a second consecutive term may be at-large members, and up to two members may be Elite Athletes. If not enough Elite Athletes or at-large members are willing to serve a second consecutive term, the number nominated for a second consecutive term shall be equal to the number willing to serve, but in no event shall more than five members be nominated to serve for a consecutive term. The Chairperson of the Nominating Committee shall have been a member of the immediately preceding Nominating Committee, shall be elected by the immediately preceding Nominating Committee, and shall vote on all matters that come before the Committee.
b. Vacancies in Nominating Committee. If any vacancy occurs on the Nominating Committee before it has filed its report of nominations, the Board shall fill the vacancy. If the vacancy is in an at-large position, the Board shall appoint a person domiciled in the same section as the person unable to serve. If the vacancy is in an Elite Athlete position, the Elite Athletes on the Board shall appoint an Elite Athlete to the position.
If a vacancy should occur in the office of the Chairperson, the remaining members of the Nominating Committee shall select a Chairperson from the remaining members from the preceding Nominating Committee. If the Nominating Committee has filed its report of nominations, it shall not be necessary to fill any vacancy that thereafter occurs on the Committee.
c. Nominations. The Nominating Committee shall nominate the officers, other members of the Board, and the members of the Nominating Committee. At least 20 percent of the Board and the Nominating Committee shall be composed of Elite Athletes. If the Nominating Committee submits a slate that consists of more than 20 percent Elite Athletes on the Board or the Nominating Committee, it shall designate those Elite Athletes who are part of the 20 percent minimum and who are therefore voted on by Elite Athletes. (See Bylaw 26.)
d. Nominating Committee members may not be nominated as officer or director. No member of the Nominating Committee may be nominated for election as an officer or Board member during the individual’s term on the Nominating Committee, or any unexpired portion thereof, in the event of resignation from the Nominating Committee by such member.
e. Two-term waiting period before return to Nominating Committee. A person who leaves the Nominating Committee other than an Elite Athlete may not return to the Nominating Committee until the person has been off the Committee for two full terms. This provision shall not apply to a member of the Nominating Committee serving on the effective date of this provision unless and until such time as the member has left the Nominating Committee and has been elected or appointed to a subsequent term.
f. Nominating report deadline. The Nominating Committee shall file its nominations no later than October 1 of each even-numbered year with the Secretary-Treasurer. A notice thereof shall be mailed by the Secretary-Treasurer to voting members and Elite Athletes no later than October 5 of such year.
g. Vacancies in Nominating Committee’s slate. If before election any person nominated dies, becomes incapacitated, declines nomination, or is otherwise disqualified, the vacancy in the nomination shall be filled as promptly as possible by the Nominating Committee. The name of the person selected shall be filed with the Secretary-Treasurer, who within five days thereafter shall notify the voting members and the Elite Athletes of the new nominee.
h. Nominations by petition.
i. Sectional Associations. Sectional Associations having an aggregate vote of not less than one-third of the voting membership may submit a petition nominating persons to serve as officers, members of the Board, or at-large members of the Nominating Committee except that the Sectional Associations may not nominate a person who is not an Elite Athlete to run against a person who is an Elite Athlete.
ii. Elite Athletes. Not less than one-third of the Elite Athletes may submit a petition nominating Elite Athletes to serve on the Board or the Nominating Committee except that the Elite Athletes may not nominate a person who is an Elite Athlete to run against a person who is not an Elite Athlete.
Petitions shall be filed with the Secretary-Treasurer no later than October 25 of even-numbered years.
i. President Elect. The person nominated as President by the Nominating Committee may use the designation of "President Elect" after the date for filing a nomination petition, if no petition is filed.
36. Election to Board and Nominating Committee. Only Elite Athletes shall vote on Elite Athletes. Only voting members shall vote on persons who are not Elite Athletes.
37. Election of Elite Athletes to Board and Nominating Committee. No later than November 5 of each even-numbered year, the Secretary-Treasurer shall send to the Elite Athletes a ballot for election of the Elite Athletes. The ballot shall list the Elite Athletes who are to be voted on by the Elite Athletes. Only those ballots received in the principal office of the USTA by 5:00 p.m. EST on or before November 25 shall be counted. Those Elite Athletes receiving the most votes shall be elected.
38. Written Consent to Nominations. If no nominations are made by petition as provided in Bylaw 35, then the Secretary-Treasurer shall, no later than November 5 of each even-numbered year, send to the voting members a written consent to the election of those persons nominated by the Nominating Committee who are not Elite Athletes. If all the consents are not executed and returned on or before November 25, the Secretary-Treasurer shall forthwith give written notice of a meeting of the voting members for the purpose of electing the individuals nominated who are not Elite Athletes.
39. Election When Nominations Are Made by Petition by Sectional Associations. If pursuant to Bylaw 35 the Sectional Associations file petitions to nominate one or more persons who are not Elite Athletes, the Secretary-Treasurer shall forthwith give written notice of a meeting of the voting members for the purpose of voting. The meeting shall be held between November 15 and December 1.