6 easy steps to promote Adopt-A-Unit and recruit volunteers
1. Post Adopt-A-Unit Flyers in Pro Shops and at Public Facilities as you can
2. Send a mass email to Captain's lists or lists at tennis clubs and organizations
3. Pass out flyers at league tennis meeting: Example (PDF) | Download Flyer Template
4. Ask a local school to participate. Consider a National Junior Honor Society at a middle school, or a National Honor Society at a high school. Offer donuts or other treat to the class that collects the most items.
5. Send an e-blast from your CTA website.
6. Post on your Facebook or other social networking site.
The tips and steps below have been proven successful in other Adopt-A-Unit efforts. The overview is designed for USTA League, Jr. Team Tennis Teams and NJTL’s, but can be adapted as necessary.
NEED: One person per service member being ‘adopted’
COLLECTION/PACKING/SHIPPING: Suggest a ‘Packing Party’ where everyone can join to prepare the care package for delivery. Consider making personalized care packages using either tennis ball cans or gallon ziplocs. If you use tennis ball cans, you can leave the label already on it, or remove it and put a customized label from your group. Consider printing on sticker labels or glue on paper labels. Please see "Packing Tips" for more information.
RECOMMENDED ITEMS FOR COLLECTION: One per service member being adopted.
These are recommendations only, and not requirements.
• Beef jerky/Slim Jims
• Sunflower Seeds and nuts (individually wrapped)
• Protein Bars/Granola Bars
• Powdered Drink Mixes
• Pairs of athletic socks (tube or crew)
• Personal or Baby Wipes (personal size)
• Letters of support (Schools are great! Leave unsealed for content screening)
• Travel size toiletries: hand sanitizer, soap, shampoo, shaving cream, toothbrushes
• money for postage
The USTA can provide you with a unit address if you don't have contact with anyone currently deployed. If provided with an email address, you should contact your unit to see if they have any special needs or desires.
In partnership with the National Recreation Foundation, USTA Serves will purchase and ship two (2) tennis kits with portable nets, throw down lines, racquets and balls, along with educational and instructional information about tennis and the USTA. Equipment and information will be shipped from the National office on your behalf.