PTSD is a psychiatric disorder that can occur following the experience or witnessing of life-threatening events such as military combat, natural disasters, terrorist incidents, serious accidents, or violent personal assaults like rape.
People who suffer from PTSD often relive the experience through nightmares and flashbacks, have difficulty sleeping, and feel detached or estranged, and these symptoms can be severe enough and last long enough to significantly impair the person's daily life.
- One in 5 veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars grapple with PTSD (National Center for PTSD)
- Over 300,000 veterans have developed PTSD or depression (Rand Corporation Study)
- Effects of PTSD ripple across the lifetime or generations
- Effects patient, their family and loved ones
- Invisibly Wounded
- Can be a dual diagnoses with TBI, ortho impairment or amputation