By Nicholas J. Walz, USTA.com
The United States proved to be a powerhouse at the 33rd International Tennis Federation (ITF) Super-Seniors World Team Championships, winning six out of 10 Cups last week in Austria and the Czech Republic. The tournament, the senior tennis equivalent of the Davis Cup and Fed Cup competitions, consisted of 153 teams from 27 countries competing in age categories from 60 and over to 80 and over.
The U.S. hoisted cups in the following divisions: four in the men’s division, including the Von Cramm Cup, Jack Crawford Cup, Bitsy Grant Cup and Gardnar Mulloy Cup; and two in the women’s division, including the Alice Marble Cup and Queens’ Cup. The Americans also had second-place showings in the women’s division for the Kitty Godfree Cup and Althea Gibson Cup.
The American men claimed the Von Cramm Cup (60 and over) when Fred Robinson, down 0-4 in the third set against France’s Alain Vaysset, came charging back to win, 5-7, 6-1, 6-4. The decisive doubles match saw the team of Anthony Dawson and Thomas Smith win, 7-6, 6-0, to successfully defend their title.
The Jack Crawford Cup (70 and over) was claimed with a clutch performance by Jimmy Parker. The New Mexico native not only won in singles, 6-2, 6-1, but also partnered with Fred Drilling to take the decisive doubles match, 6-4, 6-3, over the Austrians.
For a record sixth consecutive year, Americans won the Bitsy Grant Cup (75 and over). Captain Fred Farzanegan led Germany’s Leo Sucker, 6-0, 3-0, in the second set when Sucker retired. Lester Sack then clinched the title with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Klaus Haas.
In the Gardnar Mulloy Cup (80 and over) the Americans swept all three matches with George McCabe, (6-3, 6-1) John Powless (6-2, 6-1) and the doubles team of Joseph Russell and Richard Doss (6-4, 6-3) all scoring victories over France.
In the Alice Marble Cup (60 and over), the U.S. women accomplished the same feat by successfully defending the title they won last year – making this their fourth consecutive title. Kerry Young lost to Austria’s Maya Kerschbaum, 6-4, 7-5, but Tina Karwasky tied it up for the Americans with a victory in singles, 6-3, 6-3, then partnered with Mary Ginnard to win the doubles match, 7-6, 6-1.
The Queens’ Cup (75 and over) was played as a round robin of the three best teams: The U.S., Great Britain and Germany, with the Americans winning both their group matches to claim the cup. Roz King (6-2, 7-5) and Dorothy Matthiesen (6-2, 6-4) both registered wins in the effort.
The ITF Super-Seniors World Team Championships is the most prestigious team event on the ITF Seniors circuit. Following the ITF Super-Seniors World Team Championships, the World Individual Championships are taking place, Sept. 15-22, in Austria.
Below is the complete list of U.S. team final results from the 2013 ITF Super-Seniors World Team Championships ("c" denotes team captain):
Von Cramm Cup-Men's 60 & over (USA def. France 2-1) - Result: Champion
1. Larry Turville, Naples, Fla.
2. Tony Dawson, Austin, Texas (C)
3. Fred Robinson, Charlotte, N.C.
4. Tom Smith, Alpharetta, Ga.
Jack Crawford Cup-Men's 70 & over (USA def. Austria 2-1) – Result: Champion
1. Jimmy Parker, Santa Fe, N.M.
2. Fred Drilling, Estero, Fla. (C)
3. Allan Carter, Boca Raton, Fla.
4. Joseph Bachmann, Sarasota, Fla.
Bitsy Grant Cup-Men's 75 & over (USA def. Germany 2-0) – Result: Champion
1. Lester Sack, New Orleans, La.
2. Fred Farzanegan, Tampa, Fla. (C)
3. King Van Nostrand, Vero Beach, Fla.
4. Herman Ahlers, Las Vegas, Nev.
Gardnar Mulloy Cup-Men's 80 & over (USA def. France 3-0) – Result: Champion
1. John Powless, Madison, Wis.
2. George McCabe, Oxford, Ohio
3. Joe Russell, Chagrin Falls, Ohio (C)
4. Richard Doss, Laguna Woods, Calif.
Alice Marble Cup-Women's 60 & over (USA def. Austria 2-1) - Result: Champion
1. Tina Karwasky, Glendale, Calif. (C)
2. Kerry Young, Maitland, Fla.
3. Martha Downing, Shingle Springs, Calif.
4. Mary Ginnard, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Queens' Cup-Women's 75 & over (USA def. Great Britain 2-1) – Result: Champion
1. Dorothy Matthiessen, Pasadena, Calif.
2. Roz King, San Diego, Calif.
3. Lyn Tietz, Oak Brook, Ill. (C)
4. Ria Graham, New Port Richey, Fla.
Kitty Godfree Cup-Women's 65 & over (France def. USA 2-1) – Result: Runner-up
1. Brenda Carter, Charleston, S.C. (C)
2. Molly Hahn, Belmont, Mass.
3. Carol Clay, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
4. Betty Wachob, Panama City, Fla.
Althea Gibson Cup-Women's 70 & over (Great Britain def. USA 2-1) – Result: Runner-up
1. Donna Fales, Coral Gables, Fla.
2. Cathie Anderson, Del Mar, Calif.
3. Charleen Hillebrand, Harbor, City, Calif.
4. Susanne Clark, New City, N.Y. (C)
Britannia Cup-Men's 65 & over (Germany def. USA 2-1) - Result: Fourth Place
1. Brian Cheney, Chandler, Ariz. (C)
2. David Nash, Bloomington, Minn.
3. Les Buck, Queenstown, Md.
4. Hugh Thomson, Norcross, Ga.
Doris Hart Cup-Women's 80 & over (USA def. Germany 3-0) – Result: Fifth Place
1. Margaret Canby, San Antonio, Texas (C)
2. Lucille Kyvallos, Bridgehampton, N.Y.
3. Mary Ann Plante, Winter Park, Fla.
4. Doris "Jane" Lutz, Sarasota, Fla.