This is a non-elimination format that is so named because players advance in four to eight different directions depending upon when they lose their first match and when they lose their subsequent matches.
How it’s done:
- Seeding. Seeding may be used to place the strongest players. Seeds shall be drawn according to the procedures used for making a standard draw.
- Making the draw. Each player is placed on a line on the center draw sheet. The procedure for making a standard draw shall be followed for determining the exact line on which each player is placed.
- Byes. Complications will develop if there are Byes in the draw. Therefore it is beset to limit entries to 16, 32 or 64. A substitute list is helpful to eliminate problems caused by last minute withdraws.
- Progression in the Draw. At the end of each round, the winners continue in their tournament in the same direction, while the losers move to other points on the compass to form a new satellite tournament.
- At the end of round 1:
- The winners go east
- The losers go west
- At the end of round 2:
- The east losers go north
- The west losers go south
- At the end of round 3:
- The east losers go northeast
- The north losers go northwest
- The west losers go southwest
- The south losers go southeast
- At the end of round 4:
- The losers are out of the tournament (unless it is announced in writing before the start of the first match of the tournament that there will be semifinal play-offs);
- The winners play the finals on each draw sheet.
Specific procedures for a draw of 16: Use only the top half of the draw at each compass point. Follow the same procedure as in a draw of 32 except that round 4 is the finals instead of the semifinals.
Specific procedures for a draw of 64. Use two 32 draw sheets. Round 4 becomes the quarter finals of each tournament instead of the semifinals. At the end of round 4 all losers are out of the tournament. The draw sheet tournaments continue with their own semifinal matches until there is an eventual winner for each (The losers of the semifinals are out of the tournament).
Prizes. The major prizes go to the east winner (who is undefeated) and to the east runner-up (who has lost only to the east winner). Next in order are the winners and runners-up from: northeast, north, northwest, west, southwest, south and southeast.
Click here to view and print the draws.