The USTA's Coaching Education Department is committed to offering coaches one of the highest-quality coaching education experiences in the world through participation in the USTA High Performance Coaching Program.
INCENTIVES FOR THE PROGRAM
The incentives for the coach who completes the program will be significant. They include: personal and professional growth, being involved in a program that is on the cutting edge of coaching, and becoming a part of a publicly recognized group of America’s leading coaches. In addition, we will provide ample opportunity for the high performance coach to interact and network with other leading coaches throughout the United States. We will offer ongoing continuing education through the monthly coaching education and sport science E-newsletter, event based programming and High Performance educational workshops and seminars throughout the year.
Our intent is to provide ongoing benefits to the high performance coaches who participate in the program. Our goal is to provide opportunities to help these coaches in their efforts to develop the next generation of American players.
The USTA Coaching Education Department staff will select coaches for admission into the program. A committee comprised of the USTA Coaching Education department, as well as a USPTA and a PTR representative, will assure the stated selection philosophy is being met and will review the selection process.
In selecting coaches for the program, the USTA Coaching Education Department will be fair and equitable in choosing the most qualified applicants who possess the qualifications listed below. The coaches’ playing background will be taken into account. Consideration will also be given to coaches from diverse ethnic and socioeconomic groups as well as geographical location.
As the program grows, the USTA Coaching Education Department will continually review the selection philosophy and qualifications to ensure that the program meets its goals.
Applicants should meet at least five (5) of the criteria listed below:
1. Coaching in United States. Each applicant must reside and actively coach in the United States. (MANDATORY)
2. United States Tennis Association Membership. Each applicant must be a current member of the United States Tennis Association. (MANDATORY)
3. Certified. USPTA P1 and/or PTR Professional level. (MANDATORY)
4. Coaching Experience. At least 5 years of experience coaching high performance players.
5. Sectionally Ranked Players. Currently directing a program with and/or currently serving as the primary coach of a specified number of sectionally ranked players.
6. Nationally Ranked Players. Currently directing a program and/or currently serving as the primary coach of a specified number of nationally ranked players.
7. Coach of Successful Players. Has coached players who have gone on to play at all levels of the game, including collegiate and professional tennis.
8. Active High Performance Coach. Is actively coaching high performance players.
9. Sports Science Competency Test (Level One) must have successfully completed this test. Click here
to access the online test.
Please click here
to access the application for the USTA High Performance Coaching Program.
EDUCATION AND TESTING
After successfully completing the High Performance Coaching Program, coaches will receive their certificate of completion from the PTR and/or the USPTA