John T. Donelan
Sunday, September 4, 2005/Grand Hyatt Hotel, New York, NY
Decisions Made (and primary rationale)
· A motion was made and passed to approve the 2005 Annual Meeting Minutes.
· A motion was made and passed to approve the 2006 Category I Tournament Schedule. Two Louisiana tournament sites may have to be moved due to the effects of Hurricane Katrina.
· A motion was made and passed to approve the 2006 Category II Tournament Schedule with the exception of the USPTA National Championships.
· A motion was made and passed to grant Category II tournament status to the Midwest Men’s Indoor Championships in Ohio.
· The Committee unanimously voted to add Category II events to the results of eligible players on the Rolling Standing List published on the USTA Adult/Senior website.
· The Committee also unanimously voted to add an electronic evaluation form to each Category I and Category II tournament home page posted on TennisLink.
Items Discussed Requiring Future Action
· Kathy Langer, Diversity Sub-Committee Chair gave her report. After introducing members of the Sub-Committee: Allen Dunbar; Nancy Reed; Greg Wong; John Lewis; and Dee Williams-Horne, Kathy explained the Sub-Committee’s current agenda. First, the Sub-Committee plans to determine and recommend to the full Committee the future composition of the Committee to address diversity concerns. The Sub-Committee also intends to identify strategies by which the Committee can reach out to minority players to increase diversity among current competitive players.
· Carolyn Nichols then requested that relevant USTA Regulations be reviewed to determine how “national” tournaments are defined citing the need for clarification and consistency. The Chair said that he would appoint Committee members to review this issue.
· Margie Cooper, Category II Tournament Sub-Committee Chair congratulated her fellow Sub-Committee members: Steve Fiske; Peter Bronson; Patricia Graham; and Jim Nelson for their fine work. Margie particularly applauded the efforts of Peter Bronson who created a numerical rating for Men’s tournaments. The Sub-Committee plans to perform the following work:
o Create a flyer for Category I and Category II tournaments to be distributed at 2006 Category I and Category II tournament events.
o Contact Category II Tournament Directors and request that player parties be held to increase interest.
o Contact Category I Tournament Directors be contacted to determine if alternative tournament dates could be used in 2006 to create “free weeks” to hold additional Category II events.
Other Items of Significance
· Gold Slam Awards. The chairman presented Gold Slam Certificates to the following individuals: Men’s 45 Singles-Val Wilder; Men’s 70 Doubles-Richard Doss; Women’s 65 Singles-Dorothy Matthiessen; Women’s 65 Doubles-Katie Koontz/Norma Veal; Women’s 75 Singles and Doubles-Louise Russ; Women’s 75 Doubles-Louise Owen Women’s 80 Singles-Betty Eisenstein; Women’s 85 Singles and Doubles-Dodo Cheney.
· Jeff Gray made a request that TennisLink add a box in TDM for charity or non-sanctioned tournaments. Staff liaison, Theresa Bowen, advised this option currently existed on the online sanction form.
· David Schobel then reviewed a draft Agenda for the 2005 Tournament Director’s Workshop which is scheduled to be held at the Dallas/Fort Worth Hyatt on October 28-30, 2005.
· The Website Report was tabled due to upcoming changes to the site by the USTA Marketing and Advanced Media Departments.
· Review of Proposed National Ranking Regulation Call Items. This review raised the issue that players who played in excess of two sectional championships would have the results of additional sectional championships count for zero points, rather than 125 points as a local tournament for national PPR rankings. This inadvertent result was deemed unacceptable by the Committee and the Chair. The Chair and staff will determine if USTA software can be modified to make that conversion. Absent that change, the Committee will have to review other alternatives to solve this problem.
John T. Donelan/David Schobel/