COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
John T. Donelan
March 20 & 21, 2006/Lake Buena Vista, Florida
Decisions Made (and primary rationale)
- A motion was made and passed to approve the 2005 Semi-Annual Meeting Minutes.
- A motion was made and passed to reinstate the Points Per Round Ranking System (“PPR”) Sub-Committee.
- A motion was made and passed to reaffirm the Committee’s earlier decision to count only the best of two (2) section championships for national ranking purposes beginning Jan. 1, 2006. Additional section championships will receive local points under the PPR.
- The Chairperson appointed the following individuals to the PPR Sub-Committee: Carolyn Nichols; Patricia Graham; Jim Nelson; Paul Settles; and John Donelan as Chairperson. Larry Turville, Peter Bronson, and Joe Grover were appointed advisors.
- Staff will notify 2006 Gold Slam Winners by June 1, 2006 that they will receive their awards at the USTA Semi-Annual meeting.
Items Discussed Requiring Future Action
- The Diversity Sub-Committee requested the USTA Communications Department prepare and send a formal request for a Public Service Announcement (“PSA”) to the Tennis Channel.
- The Diversity Sub-Committee Chairperson was charged by the Committee Chairperson to provide specific recommendations to the full Committee for vote at the USTA Semi-Annual meeting. The two (2) matters under review by the Sub-Committee are: (1) the means to generate increased participation by players of diverse backgrounds and (2) the creation of a policy by which the Diversity Sub-Committee identifies future Diversity Sub-Committee members from the sectional level.
- Notify the National Tournament Directors of the dates of the upcoming Annual and Semi-Annual meetings.
- Select the date and location for the 2007 National Tournament Directors’ Workshop.
- The Chairperson appointed a Sub-Committee to review and make recommendations to staff for the Adult/Senior Tennis brochure. Members appointed were: Margie Cooper, Greg Wong and John Donelan.
- The Chairperson appointed Steve Hayden as the Intersectional Doubles Team Sub-Committee Chairperson. Nancy Reed was appointed as a Member of this Sub-Committee.
- Jeff Gray was asked to notify other sections of the Southern Section’s current attempt to encourage USTA league players to participate in age division tournaments. Jeff will report back whether other sections have chosen to follow Southern’s lead in this program.
Other Items of Significance
- The Chairperson recognized the following 2005 Gold Slam Winners: Mike Fedderly; Gordon Davis; Leonard Lindborg; James Nelson; Dorothy Matthiessen;, Betty Eisenstein; and Dodo Cheney.
- The Chairperson recognized Kathleen Checket for winning the prestigious Seniors’ Service Award.
- The Chairperson pointed out that the number of ranking appeals to the Ranking Review Board for 2005 were at an all time low of five (5) appeals. The Board also received two (2) comments about the PPR Ranking System.
- A review of the 2006 Men and Women’s Category I schedule reflected the change of date and location of the Men’s and Women’s 30 Grass Court Championships. They will now be held at separate venues. In addition, the date and location of the Women’s 60, 70, 80 & 90 Clay Court Championships was moved temporarily to Florida. It will return to Diamondhead in 2007.
John T. Donelan/David E. Schobel/