– Top-ranked Northwestern, the 2008 runner-up, became the first Big Ten team to capture the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) National Women's Team Indoor title with a 4-1 victory over No. 6 Georgia at the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium, hosted by the University of Wisconsin. ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championship match
#1 Northwestern 4, #6 Georgia 1
1. Gullickson/Hyndman (UGA) def. Lui/Rose (NW), 8-4
2. Robison/Mosolova (NW) def. Gilchrist/Dancevic (UGA), 9-8 (3)
3. Murray/Chernyakova (NW) def. Ueshima/Ellis (UGA), 8-1
[Northwestern won doubles point]
1. Chelsey Gullickson (UGA) def. Maria Mosolova (NW), 6-4, 6-3
2. Georgia Rose (NW) def. Yvette Hyndman (UGA), 6-1, 6-2
3. Samantha Murray (NW) def. Samantha Murray (NW), 6-4, 6-3
4. Lauren Lui (NW) def. Monika Dancevik (UGA), 6-1, 6-2
5. Nazlie Ghazal (NW) vs. Naoko Ueshima (UGA), 6-3, 4-4 (DNF)
6. Cameron Ellis (UGA) vs. Keri Robison (NW), 7-5, 2-2 (DNF)
Order of finish (singles): 2, 4, 1, 3
Records: Northwestern 7-0; Georgia 8-1
"Winning the doubles point was huge," said Head Coach Claire Pollard. "It gave us an advantage going into singles."
Last year, Northwestern became the first Big Ten team to reach the finals of the Team Championship before falling to Georgia Tech, 4-2. With the 4-1 victory over the University of Georgia in today's championship match, they are the only Big Ten team to capture the elusive indoor title.
"We learned some things last year making it to the final, Pollard said. "This year being #1 ranked, we haven't really done anything to prove it yet. We needed to go out and be hungry for success and prove that we are #1. Georgia is a great team and we are fortunate to come out on top."
In the Wildcats' 11th overall appearance in the annual event, NU pushed its all-time record to 23-12. Northwestern now won seven of the last eight matches in the team indoor championships and have won an astounding 50 of their last 54 dual matches.
Northwestern prevented Georgia from winning its fourth ITA National Team Indoor title after winning it in 1994, 1995 and 2002. It was the sixth time the Bulldogs have reached the championship match and with today's loss, dropped their all-time record to 42-16 in 20 appearances at the Team Indoors. In fact, UGA has only missed the annual tournament twice.
The Georgia men's team also made the finals of the ITA National Men's Team Indoor Championships and is currently facing the defending champion Virginia Cavaliers. It is the ninth time that one school has had both the men's and women's teams in the finals of both of events in the same year and the third time that UGA has accomplished this feat (1994-'95).
On Sunday, Northwestern junior Lauren Lui received the ITA Sportsmanship Award. "Lauren is a class act on a team that has very good sportsmanship," said Pollard. "I feel Lauren is a great representative of Northwestern University and College Tennis as a whole." ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships: Finals
#1 Northwestern 4, #6 Georgia 1 ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships: Semifinals
#1 Northwestern 4, Notre Dame 1
#6 Georgia 4, #2 California 2 ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships: Quarterfinals
#1 Northwestern 4, #8 Duke 3
Notre Dame 4, #4 Baylor 3
#6 Georgia 6, #3 UCLA 1
#2 California 5, #7 Georgia Tech 2 ITA National Women's Team Indoor Championships: First Round
#1 Northwestern 6, Miami (FL) 1
#8 Duke 7, Wisconsin 0
#4 Baylor 4, North Carolina 3
Notre Dame 4, #5 Stanford 3
#6 Georgia 4, USC 3
#3 UCLA 4, Florida 3
#7 Georgia Tech 4, Fresno State 3
#2 California 4, Clemson 3
For complete results, visit www.itatennis.com.