by Sarah Houseknecht, Special to USTA.com
CAYCE, S.C. — After an exciting Opening Ceremonies at Cayce Tennis and Fitness Center Thursday night, 32 14-and-under tennis teams were ready to roll into match play Friday morning.
Two champions will be crowned – Intermediate and Advanced divisions – with 16 teams competing in four flights. Friday’s Intermediate competition was held at Lexington County Tennis Complex, while the Advanced competition was underway at Cayce Tennis and Fitness Center. The divisions will switch locations for Saturday morning matches before starting playoffs Saturday afternoon.
Intermediate Flight Play:
• Caribbean’s CDTH (2-0) leads Flight 1 with team victories over Mid-Atlantic’s GSRC Static Noize (1-1) and the Texas ACE 10S (1-1). CDTH takes on Missouri Valley’s Kickingbird Tennis Center (0-2) tomorrow at 8 a.m.
• Middle State’s Nassau Dare Doubles (2-0) leads Flight 2 with team victories over Midwest (1-1) and New England’s Old Saybrook Racquet Club (1-1). The Nassau Dare Doubles will try to maintain their perfect record against Southwest’s LPTA Stansifer Lobos (0-2) at 8 a.m.
• SoCal’s Sunshine Storm (2-0) leads Flight 3 with team victories over Northern AAA’s (1-1) and Florida section’s Miami Contenders (0-2). They finish flight play in a battle with Pacific Northwest’s Court 4 (1-1) tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.
• Eastern’s Basking Ridge (2-0) team leads Flight 4 with team victories over Hawaii Pacific’s Waialae Iki 5 White Stars (0-2) and Southern’s Legacy Park (1-1). Basking Ridge plays the Westside Wailers (1-1) tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.
Advanced Flight Play:
• Hawaii Pacific’s Wailea Tennis Club (2-0) and the Southern’s Section MS Elite (2-0) are tied for the lead in Flight 1 both with team victories over NorCal’s AVAC Road Runners (0-2) and Eastern’s wild card, The Soups (0-2). Wailea Tennis Club and MS Elite will square off tomorrow, deciding who will move in to the Championship bracket, at 8 a.m.
• Texas’ ATA Dream Team (2-0) leads Flight 2 with team victories over SoCal’s Alta Vista Heat (1-1) and Mid Atlantic’s Team Eclipse (1-1). Tomorrow ATA Dream Team will face New England’s Spartans (0-2) at 8 a.m.
• Pacific Northwest’s Bremerton Bullseyes and the Mid-Atlantic wild card came out of the morning matches with victories over Midwest RCC and the Southern wild card, respectively. The afternoon scores from Flight 3 TBA.
• New England’s Solaris team (2-0) leads Flight 4 with team victories over the Florida Geek Squad (1-1) and the Northern section’s Fred Well 14’s Advanced team (1-1). Tomorrow, team Solaris will take on Middle States’ Delaware Nightmare (0-2) at 9:30 a.m.
Flight play continues Saturday at 8 a.m. as teams go head-to-head, deciding who will move on to vie for the Championship.