August 6, 2018
USTA Eastern’s Western Region organizes all USTA tennis programs throughout the Western part of the state of New York. The region extends from as far north as the Saint Lawrence River south to the Pennsylvania state line and west to the Niagara River. It includes the cities of Watertown, Syracuse, Binghamton, Ithaca, Elmira, Corning, Rochester, Niagara Falls, Buffalo and Jamestown. The region is bordered by two of the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario), and includes the Finger Lakes Region.
The Western Region has one of the seven wonders of the world within its boundaries. Niagara Falls is a hot spot for tourists and visitors from around the globe. In addition, the region is home to the Women's Rights Museum in Seneca Falls and the Corning Museum of Glass. The region also has several professional sports teams from the Buffalo Bills and Sabres to the Syracuse SkyChiefs.ADVERTISEMENT
The Western Region is proud to host three annual USTA Professional Circuit Events. Miller Tennis Center in Williamsville hosts the Sargent & Collins LLP, Men's Futures Tournament; the LB Futures Tournament takes place at the Tennis Club of Rochester in Pittsford; and the Levene, Gouldin, & Thompson (LG&T) Tennis Challenger is played at Recreation Park in Binghamton.
Pro Circuit Events
Three popular Pro Circuit events occurred in the Western Region this summer! The events were the Sargent & Collins, LLP Men’s $25,000 Futures Tournament in Buffalo on June 9 - 17, LB Futures Tournament at Tennis Club of Rochester on June 16 – 24 and Levene Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger in Binghamton on July 21 - 29.
FOX 40 Binghamton aired a segment about the Levene Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger, which is back for its 25th year. The Challenger takes place in Recreation Park and is one of more than 90 tournaments across the country in the USTA Pro Circuit.
Click here to see how the Binghamton University men's tennis team continues to reach beyond the tennis court.
Click here to read about Western's participation at the Net Generation demonstrations at the US Open!
Click here to watch the coverage of Western's Junior Team Tennis success as they head back to Nationals!
Click here to see the great work done by the Fairley Indoor Tennis Center in getting tennis into the local schools.
The Western Region was the recipient of several notable awards during the 2018 Eastern Tennis Conference. These awards include the following:
- Woman of the Year - Laurie Bowen
- Tennis Family of the Year - Fishback Family (Click here for the article feature on Democrat & Chronicle)
- Collegiate Award - Binghamton University (Click here for a full article feature)
Click here for more information on 2018 Adult Tournament calendar.
Here are important USTA Eastern League Dates in the Western Region
55 & Over Adult, 40 & Over Mixed Western Region Championship
- September 7-9
- Midtown Athletic Club, Rochester
The Western Region Team
Western, Adult League Coordinator
- Lynn Buffamonti - email@example.com
Western, Tennis Service Representative
- Joe Steger - Steger@eastern.usta.com
- Michael Starke, Western Regional President
- Anda Perianu, Western Regional Vice President
- Elise DeRose, Western Regional Secretary
- District 13, Steve Pekich
- District 14, Marion DeLeo
- District 15, Christen Enright
- Adult Competition, Jason Speirs
- Community Development, Shawna Macfarlane
- Diversity and Inclusion, Steve McGary
- Junior Competition, Chris Galle
- Junior Team Tennis, May Hines
- USTA Leagues, Steve Pekich
- Naveen Singh, Syracuse
- Adrienne Alteri, Watertown
Western Region Nominating Committee:
- Steve Pekich, District 13 (and Chair)
- Joe Thyroff, District 14
- Kathy Connelly, District 15
- Western Region District Heads of Umpires and Western Umpires Committee
- District 13 -- Ferne Nelkin
- District 14 -- Marion DeLeo
- District 15 -- Dave Filipski