USTA Eastern | July 3, 2017
USTA Eastern’s Western Region organizes all USTA tennis programs throughout the Western part of the state of New York. The Region extends from as far north as the Saint Lawrence River south to the Pennsylvania State Line and west to the Niagara River. It includes the cities of Watertown, Syracuse, Binghamton, Ithaca, Elmira, Corning, Rochester, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, and Jamestown. The Region is bordered by two of the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario), and includes the Finger Lakes Region.
The Western Region has one of the seven wonders of the world within its boundaries. Niagara Falls is a hot spot for tourists and visitors from around the globe. In addition, the Region is home to the Women's Rights Museum in Seneca Falls and the Corning Museum of Glass. We have several professional sports teams from the Buffalo Bills and Sabres to the Syracuse SkyChiefs. ADVERTISEMENT
The Region also hosts three annual USTA Professional Circuit Events. Miller Tennis Center in Williamsville hosts the Sargent & Collins LLP, Men's Futures Tournament. The LB Futures Tournament takes place at Tennis Club of Rochester in Pittsford, and the Levene, Gouldin, & Thompson (LG&T) Tennis Challenger is played at Recreation Park in Binghamton.
The Western Region was the recipient of several notable awards during the 2018 Eastern Tennis Conference. These awards include the following:
- Women of the Year - Laurie Bowen
- Tennis Family of the Year - Fishback Family (Click here for the article feature on Democrat & Chronicle)
- Collegiate Award - Binghamton University (Click here for a full article feature)
There are also several impactful presentations in the Western Region.
Genesee Valley Recreation and Park Society (GVRPS) met at Midtown Athletic Club in Rochester, N.Y. on January 31st. This interactive presentation had 20 attendees from the Parks and Recreation Department and various other organization in the Greater Rochester area. This was conducted by Net Generation ambassador, Laramie Gavin. Topics covered included, Net Generation, USTA Eastern support, program ideas and activities that can be used to introduce tennis to different age groups in any type of setting.
Also, the USPTA will be hosting three coaching clinics to elevate coaches throughout the region, this will include High School Coaches workshops. For more information, contact Steve Pekich.
- Friday, March 2nd from 8:30-11:30 at Village Glen Tennis Club, 162 Mill Street, Williamsville; cost is $30 ($20 for USPTA certified professionals).
Saturday, March 10, 11:00-4:00 at Binghamton Tennis Center, 3801 Mill Street, Binghamton; cost is $40.
- Friday, March 16, 9:00-3:00 at Elevate Fitness, 5791 Widewaters Parkway, Dewitt; cost is $30 ($20 for USPTA certified professionals)
Pro Circuit Events
Save the date for the three Pro Circuit events happening in the Western Region this summer! More information coming soon.
- Sargent & Collins, LLP Men’s $25,000 Futures Tournament - June 9 – 17, 2018
- LB Futures Tournament at Tennis Club of Rochester - June 16 – 24, 2018
- Levene Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger at Recreation Park in Binghamton - July 21 – 29, 2018
The Western Region Team
Western, Adult League Coordinator
- Lynn Buffamonti - email@example.com
Western, Tennis Service Representative
- Joe Steger - Steger@eastern.usta.com
- Michael Starke, Western Regional President
- Anda Perianu, Western Regional Vice President
- Elise DeRose, Western Regional Secretary
- District 13, Steve Pekich
- District 14, Marion DeLeo
- District 15, Christen Enright
- Adult Competition, Jordy Asher
- Community Development, Shawna Macfarlane
- Diversity and Inclusion, Steve McGary
- Junior Competition, Brian Dahlstrom
- Junior Team Tennis, May Hines
- USTA Leagues, Steve Pekich
- Naveen Singh, Syracuse
- Adrienne Alteri, Watertown
Western Region Nominating Committee:
- Steve Pekich, District 13 (and Chair)
- Joe Thyroff, District 14
- Kathy Connelly, District 15
- Western Region District Heads of Umpires and Western Umpires Committee
- District 13 -- Ferne Nelkin
- District 14 -- Marion DeLeo
- District 15 -- Dave Filipski