USTA Eastern | April 2, 2018
USTA Eastern’s Western Region organizes all USTA tennis programs throughout the Western part of the state of New York. The region extends from as far north as the Saint Lawrence River south to the Pennsylvania state line and west to the Niagara River. It includes the cities of Watertown, Syracuse, Binghamton, Ithaca, Elmira, Corning, Rochester, Niagara Falls, Buffalo and Jamestown. The region is bordered by two of the Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario), and includes the Finger Lakes Region.
The Western Region has one of the seven wonders of the world within its boundaries. Niagara Falls is a hot spot for tourists and visitors from around the globe. In addition, the region is home to the Women's Rights Museum in Seneca Falls and the Corning Museum of Glass. The region also has several professional sports teams from the Buffalo Bills and Sabres to the Syracuse SkyChiefs.
The Western Region is proud to host three annual USTA Professional Circuit Events. Miller Tennis Center in Williamsville hosts the Sargent & Collins LLP, Men's Futures Tournament; the LB Futures Tournament takes place at the Tennis Club of Rochester in Pittsford; and the Levene, Gouldin, & Thompson (LG&T) Tennis Challenger is played at Recreation Park in Binghamton.
Pro Circuit Events
Save the date for the three Pro Circuit events happening in the Western Region this summer! More information coming soon.
- Sargent & Collins, LLP Men’s $25,000 Futures Tournament - June 9 – 17, 2018
- LB Futures Tournament at Tennis Club of Rochester - June 16 – 24, 2018
- Levene Gouldin & Thompson Tennis Challenger at Recreation Park in Binghamton - July 21 – 29, 2018
The Western Region was the recipient of several notable awards during the 2018 Eastern Tennis Conference. These awards include the following:
- Woman of the Year - Laurie Bowen
- Tennis Family of the Year - Fishback Family (Click here for the article feature on Democrat & Chronicle)
- Collegiate Award - Binghamton University (Click here for a full article feature)
Stay tuned for upcoming trainings and workshops happening throughout the region.
The USPTA will be hosting three coaching clinics to elevate coaches throughout the region; this will include High School Coaches workshops. For more information, contact Steve Pekich.
Click here for more information on 2018 Adult Tournament calendar.
There will be two free Net Generation Community Workshops open to all tennis instructors coming up in June. The first is Saturday, June 9 from 9:30am-12:00 at Lancaster High School (1 Forton Drive, Lancaster). The second is Monday, June 25 from 5:30-8:00pm at Genesee Valley Park in Rochester. Both workshops will be interactive, so please bring your racquet, and both will take place regardless of the weather (June 9 workshop moves inside Lancaster High School, while June 25 will move to Maplewood Family YMCA, 25 Driving park Avenue, Rochester).
Please contact Joe Steger, USTA Eastern Tennis Service Representative (TSR), at email@example.com to register for either workshop or with any questions.
Here are important USTA Eastern League Dates in the Western Region
18 & Over, 40 & Over Adult Western Region Championship
- August 3-5
55 & Over Adult, 40 & Over Mixed Western Region Championship
- September 7-9
- Midtown Athletic Club, Rochester
The Western Region Team
Western, Adult League Coordinator
- Lynn Buffamonti - firstname.lastname@example.org
Western, Tennis Service Representative
- Joe Steger - Steger@eastern.usta.com
- Michael Starke, Western Regional President
- Anda Perianu, Western Regional Vice President
- Elise DeRose, Western Regional Secretary
- District 13, Steve Pekich
- District 14, Marion DeLeo
- District 15, Christen Enright
- Adult Competition, Jordy Asher
- Community Development, Shawna Macfarlane
- Diversity and Inclusion, Steve McGary
- Junior Competition, Brian Dahlstrom
- Junior Team Tennis, May Hines
- USTA Leagues, Steve Pekich
- Naveen Singh, Syracuse
- Adrienne Alteri, Watertown
Western Region Nominating Committee:
- Steve Pekich, District 13 (and Chair)
- Joe Thyroff, District 14
- Kathy Connelly, District 15
- Western Region District Heads of Umpires and Western Umpires Committee
- District 13 -- Ferne Nelkin
- District 14 -- Marion DeLeo
- District 15 -- Dave Filipski