Long Island Region
July 18, 2019
The USTA Eastern Long Island Region organizes all USTA tennis programs in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and reaches out to the entire Long Island community to bring tennis to people of all ages and skill levels. Our member organizations are tennis clubs, tennis facilities, parks, schools and community groups, all of whom support and foster tennis throughout Long Island.
- Check out photos from the 2019 USTA Long Island Awards Dinner here!
- Players are still needed for the second season of the USTA 65 & Over 8.0 Mixed League. Open to all USTA members aged 65+ with 3.5 or higher rating. Click here to register. Team # 1003424087. Email Allan Silverstein or Susan D’Alessandro for details.
USTA 65 & Over 8.0 Mixed LeagueADVERTISEMENT
The second season of the USTA 65 & Over 8.0 Mixed League is in full swing with the two competing teams—the Racquet Scientists and the Grand Slammers—tied at 3-3. The Grand Slammers took the latest contest at The Tennis King in Roslyn, N.Y. by a score of 2-1. (See a photo from the most recent league outing in the photo gallery below.)
Aces for Autism at South Side High School
The South Side Boys Varsity Tennis team held its 2nd annual “Ace for Autism” clinic on Saturday, May 4th. The clinic was organized by Captains Justin Seplowe and Phil Frank, along with the South Side Boys' tennis team. The boys ran a tennis clinic for students/children in the community with special needs. Despite the rain and clouds, the kids had a great time playing tennis games and drills and winning prizes. The team hopes to continue running the clinic for years to come. (See a photo from the event in the photo gallery below.)
Virginia Wade visits Christopher Morley
Seven-time Majors champion Virginia Wade visited the high performance players at Christopher Morley Tennis Club in May. Wade, who reached a high of World No. 2 in 1975, owns 55 career titles in both singles and doubles during her 26-year career. A British citizen, she played Fed Cup tennis for 17 years and was a member of Britain’s Wightman Cup team for 21 years. She was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1989. At Morley, she spoke to the junior players about her career and accomplishments, answered questions and gave the students’ on-court pointers.
No Cut High School Teams Display USTA Wristbands
The USTA Long Island Regional Council recognized no-cut tennis this past season by giving all members of no-cut teams blue wristbands to wear at matches. The “blue” was to recognize and support Autism Awareness for the month of April. Click here for a complete list of participating teams and coaches. (See some of the teams with their wristbands in the photo gallery below.)
- July 23 - Hamptons Kids' Day CANCELLED
Hamptons Kids' Day has been cancelled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- August 1 - Suffolk Kids' Day FREE
Click here for a directory of Long Island Providers.
The Long Island Region Team
Long Island, Tennis Service Representative
- Neil Thakur - firstname.lastname@example.org
Regional Council Executive Committee
- Jonathan Klee, Regional Director
- Mike Pavlides, Past Regional Director
- Sunny Fishkind, Vice Regional Director
- Randi Wilkins, Secretary
- Terri Arnold-McKenzie, Secretary, Grant Committee
- Terri Arnold-McKenzie, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Scott Axler, Past Regional Director, Junior Competition Committee
- Shannon Blue, USTA League Committee Liaison
- Hilary Bressler, Events Planner, Awards Dinner Committee
- Daniel Burgess, Past Regional Director, Community Tennis Committee
- Steven Cloughen, Awards Dinner Committee
- Chris Colesanti, Adult League Committee
- Craig Fligstein, Veterans and Community Service Liaison
- Wayne Freeman, USTA League Committee Liason
- Herb Harris, Grant Committee, Community Development Liaison
- Eileen Leonard, Competition Training Committee
- Tito Perez, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Junior Team Tennis Committee
- Fabiana Rezak, Community Tennis Liaison
- Clark D. Ruiz II, Nassau County Delegate
- Denise Schmidt, Events Planner, Awards Dinner Committee
- Michelle Stoerback, Awards Dinner Committee
- Jason Wass, Suffolk County Delegate
To learn more about us, email email@example.com.