Become A Tournament Director
NorCal Staff | May 1, 2017
Bimonthly Application Deadline
- We will provide you with the new dates that go under Bimonthly Application Deadline once it gets approved by the Board.
2018 Sanctioning Process and Information
Thank you for your interest in hosting a USTA NorCal tournament. To help you as a potential applicant for a USTA NorCal tournament, we have prepared a set of informational documents. It is important that you review all of the relevant sanctioning materials before applying for a tournament. The documents are as follows:
- Timeline for Applying for a 2018 USTA NorCal Sanctioned Tournament
- USTA NorCal Tournament Sanction Rules
- 2018 USTA NorCal Junior Sanction Date Blocks
- 2018 USTA NorCal Sanction Instructions for Junior Tournament Sanctions
- 2018 USTA NorCal Junior Tournament Descriptions
- 2018 USTA NorCal SAT and ACT Avoidance Policy for Junior Tournaments
- 2018 USTA NorCal Schedule and Court Requirement
- USTA NorCal Sanctioning Guidelines
- USTA NorCal Tournament Site Permission Letter
- Safe Play Background Check Screening (required for all Junior Tournament Directors in 2018)
Applicants are required to complete the USTA NorCal Sanction Application Form and submit site permission letter(s) by the deadline. Only those sanction applications that are approved will be required to fill out the USTA Online Sanction Form. Please submit one USTA NorCal Sanction Application Form for each tournament bid.
Should you have any questions regarding the sanctioning process please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact Tommy Tu at (510) 263-0447 or Michelle Wilson at (510) 263-0446.
Tournament Director Workshop Schedule
New Tournament Directors of a USTA NorCal Sanctioned Adult or Junior tournament must attend a Tournament Directors Workshop prior to their first tournament.
Returning Tournament Directors who have served as tournament director at USTA NorCal sanctioned tournaments for 3 or more years and have not had any infractions or probations in the previous year may attend a tournament director workshop once every 3 years. Tournament directors who receive an infraction and/or probation must attend a tournament director workshop the following year.
The next Tournament Director/TDM Workshop is on April 23, 2018 at the USTA NorCal Office.
Levels of Tournaments
There are many different types and levels of tournaments. Below is a list of tournament levels that USTA NorCal offers.
Junior Tournaments: Orange Ball, Green Ball, Challenger, Open, UTR Round Robin, Championships, Super Series, Excellence, Sectional
Adult Tournaments: Senior, NTRP, Open, One Day, Wheelchair, Family
Sanction Rules for USTA NorCal Tournaments
Review the sanction rules to learn about what is required from Member Organizations and Tournament Directors to host a tournament before submitting a sanction application.
Tournament & Sportsmanship Rules
Understanding the tournament and sportsmanship rules is a crucial aspect for a successful tournament.
- Tournament Rules and Friend at Court (FAC) >
- Organization Members may order a FREE copy of FAC >
- Sportsmanship Point Penalty Suspension System >
- Code Violation Report Form >
- Orange / Green Ball Tournament >
- Youth Progression System (new for players 10 and Under) >
- Adult Open and Senior Tournament Seeding Rules and Coordinators >
Online USTA NorCal Sanction Application
Tournament Site Authorization Letter
Certificate of Insurance
A certificate of insurance is required for each approved sanction holder. Sanction holder will procure and maintain through the sanction period, at the sanction holder's expense, Commercial General Liability Insurance including spectator and participant liability from a company or companies licensed to do business in the state of California. The policy must be in the minimum amount of at least $1,000,000 each occurrence for Bodily Injury and Property Damage. USTA NorCal shall be named an Additional Insured on the Commercial General Liability policy at no cost to USTA NorCal.
Written Referee Confirmation
If you need help securing a referee for your tournament, please contact Chris Wilson at NorCalOfficials@gmail.com
Timeline for Planning and Managing a Tournament
Tournament Improvement Program
In order to complete the Tournament Improvement Program without penalty, a Tournament Director must accurately complete the online Pre-Tournament Checklist prior to the entries opening date and complete the Post Tournament Report within seven days of the competition of the Tournament.
- Copying a Sanction Form >
- Entering Base Fees for Different Types of Tournaments on One Sanction Form >