Return to Play
Summer ONE Tennis
July 17, 2020
We are continuing our gradual approach back to USTA League tennis in the Twin Cities and we are excited to announce the next phase with our ONE Tennis leagues. All three leagues will have the same format and rules as our Phase 1 flex-style leagues except there are three changes to the ONE Doubles league:
1) ONE Doubles will be ADVANCING
2) ONE Doubles matches WILL count towards players ratings and
3) You MUST be a USTA Member to participate in the ONE Doubles league.
The main reason for these changes is preparation for the ONE Doubles Section Championships. Currently, Section Championships are still scheduled for December and we will use the standings from Phase 2 to advance teams to Sections. We will continue to keep everyone informed.
Please see the format and rules for the ONE Tennis Leagues below:
PHASE 2: ONE DOUBLES, ONE Mixed DOUBLES, and ONE SINGLES
WHEN: August 16 - September 25, 2020
WHO: USTA members or non-members*
WHAT: Flex style matches within your registered geographic area. Players will be assigned weekly opponents and they will have one week to schedule, play the match, and report scores.ADVERTISEMENT
WHERE: Public outdoor courts within selected Twin Cities Metro area**
North Metro: North of Interstate 94 and 394
South Metro: South of Interstate 94 and 394
Registration Fee: $10 per player
DETAILS: Must sign-up at your current NTRP level*** and select to play in either the North or South Metro. You will be placed into flights**** and be assigned weekly opponents. Doubles teams can have 2-4 players and singles teams can have 1-2 players on a team. Teams will receive 4-6 matches during the 6-week season. The home team will be responsible for selecting an outdoor location and BOTH teams will be responsible for bringing a new can of balls. BOTH teams will work together to find a day and time to play within one week of the scheduled match. Matches can be played at the convenience of both players/teams so daytime, evening, weeknights, or weekends are acceptable as long as both sides agree.
* Must be a USTA Member to play in the ONE Doubles league
** Private courts and/or inside courts ok if agreed upon by both parties
*** Players need to have a valid USTA Rating. If you have not played in any USTA Leagues before and do not have an official rating, follow steps 1 and 2 below.
**** We need a minimum of 4 teams in a flight to make it viable. If there are less than 4 teams in a flight we will move players/teams around to make flights work.
Registration is open NOW and will close on THURSDAY, AUGUST 6, 2020.
How To Obtain Your Official Rating - if you don't already have one
1. Log In or Create Your Tennislink Account
New or just coming back to tennis leagues?
You’ll first need to log into or set up your tennislink account. Once you create a tennislink account and you are assigned a number, it is yours forever. Even if you purchase a USTA membership and it expires, the account number is yours forever.
Have a USTA tennislink account, and your rating has expired?
To get your self-rating, click here and log into your tennislink account.
Brand new to USTA Leagues and have never had a tennislink account?
Click here and set up an account profile for free.
Not sure if you have a tennislink account or you’re having trouble logging in?
Please call 800-990-USTA (8782) and they will be able to assist you with your account.
2. Obtain Your Rating
Now that you’re logged into your account profile, you can get your NTRP rating assigned. (Make sure you use a laptop or PC, not a tablet or smart phone. Chrome and Safari works best with tennislink.)
Click on the tab labeled “USTA LEAGUE” and then click on the blue “SELF RATE” button in the middle of the page. You’ll see a window pop up (make sure your pop up blocker is off.)
You’ll be asked a few questions about your background and history related to the sport of tennis. Once you’ve answered these questions, you will be assigned an NTRP rating. You’ll then be asked if you’d like to accept the rating that you were assigned or if you’d like to appeal your rating up or down. Make your selection and click submit. If you choose to appeal your rating, it will go through the self rate appeal process. The self rate committee at USTA Northern will review your appeal and provide a decision.
Click here for USTA’s NTRP Player Guidelines
Creating/Registering For A Team
How to Create a Team in TennisLink
- Go to TennisLink.usta.com/leagues and login to your USTA Account.
- You will land on the USTA LEAGUE home page. Look for MY QUICK LINKS on the right side of the page and click on the link ONLINE TEAM CREATION and follow the prompts.
- You will need your USTA member number and a credit card to pay the league registration fee.
- TEAM NAME: The captain’s last name(s) must be included and listed first in your team name.
- Be sure to write down your team number (it begins with a 555) so you can pass it on to your players. They will need this to register for the team.
How to Register for a Team
- You will need your team number.
- You will need your USTA member number; membership must be current through the League Play Season.
- Use a credit card to pay league fee.
- Go to TennisLink.usta.com/leagues.
- Look for "Start Playing" on the left side of the page and click on the link REGISTER FOR A TEAM and follow the prompts.