Junior Player Progression
February 15, 2017
The USTA and its Sections have created a “Youth Progression Pathway” that serves as a guide for coaches, parents and players to help ensure that kids 10 and under participate in events using the appropriate ball and court for their skill level.
Players will compete at appropriate levels of play as they progress through stages based on age, participation and achievement. By providing a pathway, young players will have the opportunity to experience suitable levels of competition as well as develop their games tactically and technically.
The progression tracking system rewards players for competing and inspires them to play more often.
It’s not just about winning and losing – it’s about having fun, engaging young children and helping them fall in love with tennis.ADVERTISEMENT
How it Works
For children ages 7-10 years old, a best-in-class system has been developed to track the progress of junior players from the orange level to the green level to the yellow level of competition.
A child can advance a level by earning the required amount of participation stars and trophies. A player’s mission is to clear each level by collecting a combination of 20 stars and/or trophies to advance.
HollandSnellThe more they play, and the more they improve their skills, the more stars and trophies they accumulate, enabling them to advance to the next level.
Players can track their progress on Tennis Link’s “My Player” page. There, players can see how many more virtual stars and trophies they need to acquire to reach the next level. Each player’s page will track their progress and accumulation of stars and trophies as opposed to ranking points.
To clear each level, players will have to collect a combination of 20 stars and/or trophies.
- Players collect stars for: tournament participation, Junior Team Tennis participation and Play Day participation.
- Players collect trophies for: winning a tournament, reaching the final of a tournament and for tournament matches won
SOUTHWEST - 10U Youth Progression - ORANGE to GREEN to 12s
- A player must collect 20 stars and/or trophies in order to progress to the next level
- Stars are awarded for Progression tagged tournaments (singles only), JTT, EDC camps, and Sportsmanship
- Trophies are awarded for winning or being a finalist in a Progression tagged tournament
- 2017 YOUTH PROGRESSION TOURNAMENT CALENDAR
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS