2022 SOUTHERN JUNIOR
Ron Cioffi | October 10, 2022
Southern tournament schedule
Click here for the online 2022 schedule.
Click here for a pdf version.
Suspension points apply to people associated to players
At the USTA 2022 Annual Meeting in March of 2022, changes were passed to the USTA Suspension Point System and Point Penalty System. They have been updated to expand when suspension points and/or Code Violations can be assessed to a player for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Southerners grab 1 Gold Ball, 7 Silver Balls in USTA National Championships
Hannah Ayrault, of Atlanta, won the USTA Girls' 12s National Championship in doubles and finished second in the singles at the tournament played in Peachtree Corners, Ga. ADVERTISEMENT in August.
The silver ball winners were Piper Charney, G18 doubles; Tabb Tuck, B12s singles; Griffin Goode/Kahven Singh, B12 doubles; Ryan Cozad/Yannik Alvarez. B14 doubles. Other sites were Mobile, Ala.; Rome, Ga.; Kalamazoo, Mich. and San Diego, Calif.
Here is the list of third- and fourth-place winners.
USTA National doubles results
USTA National Doubles were played at USTA National Campus, 10000 USTA Boulevard, Orlando, Fla., Aug. 26-28. Here are the top finishes from USTA Southern.
- Boys' 16s Gold Balls: Chase Fralick, Peactree City, Ga., and Dylan Jaen, Charlotte, N.C.
- Girls' 18s Bronze Balls: Conley Raidt, Alpharetta, Ga., and Saray Yli-piipari, Peachtree Corners, Ga.
- Girls' 16s Bronze Ball: Mary Grace Rennard, Asheville, N.C.
- Boys' 18s fourth place: Jaxon Lamb, Greenville, Tenn., and Parker Jacques, Hunstville, Ala.
New formats for Level 5 tournaments
Level 5 tournaments will have the option of utilizing Flighted Draws.
Players will be flighted 1-16 into the first flight, and 17-32 into the second flight based on their rankings. If it's not a full draw, we will split the draws evenly. For example: There are 17 players in a division. Draw A will have 9 players and Draw B will have 8 players. If a player on Draw A or B withdraws after draw is posted, the alternate (if there is a wait list) will go into that vacancy.
If doubles are being played, doubles may begin on Friday afternoon after 5:00 p.m.
Selection/seeding for Southern Level 3-5 tournaments, beginning Feb. 1
- National Selection Combined Standing List will be used for selection into tournament.
- National Singles Seeding List will be used for seeding in singles.
- National Doubles Seeding List will be used for seeding doubles.
Level 6 and 7 point changes
The point chart for 2022 has been adjusted at Levels 6 and 7. Please make sure that you take a look at the new point chart for these two levels. Here is the link.
USTA Section quota lists
Annually, the USTA National Junior Tournament Schedule has four (4) Level 1 Championships that use Section Quota as a factor within the player acceptance process. The details of the player acceptance process for each Level 1 Championship can be found here. Beginning in 2022, Section Quota Lists will be published monthly on the USTA Ranking Page as described in USTA Junior Tournament Regulation VIII.H.5.e.
2022 match scheduling & player rest requirements
Closed and Open L3, L4 and L5 events sanctioned in USTA Southern.
Player rest requirements
- Any time of the year: Doubles followed by singles - A minimum of 30 minutes is required between the completion of the first doubles match of the day prior to starting singles play.
- During the months from May 1 to October 1: Singles followed by singles - Players shall be given a minimum of two hours rest between the completion of the first singles match of the day and the start of the second singles match of the day.
- During the months of October 1 to May 1: Singles followed by singles - Players shall be given a minimum of 90-minute rest between completion of the first singles match of the day and the start of the second match of the day.
- Singles followed by doubles - Players shall be given a minimum of one hour rest between any singles match (first or second of the day) and a doubles match.
NOTE: If player’s match is longer than two hours, during the months of May 1 to October 1, they may request (in person) more time from the referee. Time extension may not be guaranteed.
In the event of inclement weather and changes in scoring formats, the referee and Tournament Committee are not bound by the above scheduling increments and rest requirements. However, at a minimum, the rest between the end of the first singles match and the beginning of the second singles match should be equal to the time on court that day for the first singles match. This should also apply to any additional singles matches scheduled in that the subsequent match rest period should be equal to the duration of the previous match.
These tournaments can run Saturday through Monday. Main draw finals may be played on Monday, but the consolation/back draw will stop at end of day on Sunday. Doubles will begin play on Saturday and finish by Sunday.
You can find USTA Southern junior tournament and JTT assets and resources here.
Rules & Regulations
National tournament schedule
Click here for the national tournament schedule.