Presented by Newks
Challenger tournaments (previously known as Zonal Area Tournaments) are the first level of competitive tournaments that count towards a USTA Texas Ranking. For 12s-18s divisions, players ages 11-18 are eligible to compete. Challenger-level players will no longer have a limit on the number of Challenger tournaments they can play each month.
Rankings will still be calculated by using a player’s top 4 Challengers point totals within a 12 month period. With the addition of 1-Day Challenger events in April 2016, point totals from both 1-Day and 2-Day Challengers will be considered when calculating rankings.
For 12s-18s divisions, there are two types of Challenger tournaments which utilize a point system to qualify players for advancement to the Championship level:
Challenger 2-Day – previously known as the traditional ZAT; uses the standard format and point table
Challenger 1-Day – new form of Challenger tournament; uses a shortened format and an adjusted point table
- Lost Creek Challenger on May 4-5 renamed the Page Ragland Memorial Challenger
- HTA NJTL September Challenger moved from September 14-15 to September 7-8
- September Challenger @ Beaumont Tennis Academy moved to Houston, becomes Bay Area Racquet Club Challenger, moved from September 7-8 to September 14-15
- Lakes Tennis Academy Challenger on June 1-2 and December 14-15
June 1 - Laredo Country Club Challenger 1-Day
- San Angelo Challenger 1-Day changed from July 6 to July 13
- Fort Stockton September Challenger 1-Day moved from September 7-8 to September 14-15