Parks & Recreation Tennis
August 1, 2018
This is the second year of the parks & recreation pilot summer program.
As a result of the USTA Eastern parks and recreation task force initiative, the following high school tennis courts are available for summer programming and open play.
- 2017 – Port Chester Parks & Recreation Summer Tennis
- This initiative was a huge success reaching over 200 participants in structured play, in addition to providing the public with open court time
- Port Chester Park & Recreation is a Net Generation approved site and professional Mike Wallace (Net Generation approved coach) will take the lead as instructor
- 2018 – Plan to continue the free Saturday morning 7/7 - 8/19 drill/play offered to 3rd-5th grades and K-2 grades
- Wednesday evenings adult programming 6:00-8:00 p.m. until August 22
- NEW this year tennis will be incorporated into the Port Chester Parks & Recreation day camp program
- 250+ youth will experience tennis drill and play
- Tennis offered on Mondays and Thursdays to campers
- Dale Balun, USPTA Pro/ Director of Tennis at Sound Shore, Port Chester, has been key to securing top quality professionals and support for this community program
We’ve received incredible player feedback!
“I'm a twenty-year resident of Port Chester, NY, where, sadly, there are no public tennis courts. It's always been frustrating to find places to play in the summer months that are nearby and open to nonresidents, much less free. It was such a pleasure last summer to be able to walk or ride my bike to Port Chester High School and play with my many Port Chester tennis friends or the two wonderful pros on hand. I am looking forward to another summer of great tennis in my neighborhood!” Elise Lemire