Ron Cioffi | November 14, 2019
USTA Southern announced today the recipients of its 2019 awards, given for outstanding achievements in tennis both on and off the court. Twenty-six winners will be recognized during the USTA Southern Annual Meeting at the Atlanta Marriott Perimeter Center, scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020.
Four of the top awards – the Jacobs Bowl, the highest volunteer award given by USTA Southern; the Gerrie Rothwell Award, given for outstanding service and dedication to the USTA League program; the Charlie B. Morris Jr. Service Award and the President’s Award – will be announced at the meeting.
Selected winners were nominated as candidates by USTA staff and volunteers in the section’s nine states: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. ADVERTISEMENT The winners were then selected from among the nominees by volunteer members of the USTA Southern Awards Committee and numerous other committees.
Two cities had a pair of winners: Greensboro, N.C. and Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Here are our 2019 USTA Southern award winners:
- Adult Tournament of the Year: RedStone High Stakes Shootout; North Little Rock, Ark.
- Community Tennis Association of the Year: Abilities Tennis Association of North Carolina; Raleigh, N.C.
- DeWitt Redgrave III Junior Achievement Awards: Chloe Beck; Watkinsville, Ga. Coy Simon; Charleston, S.C.
- Diversity & Inclusion Champion Award: Lloyd Dillon, Sr; New Orleans
- Educational Merit Award: Brian Pillar: Fort Smith, Ark.
- Gerrie Rothwell Award: Jenifer Tucker: Fayetteville, Ark.
- Jim Russell Junior Tournament of the Year: Alabama Spring Clay Court Open Championships; Pelham, Ala.
- Junior Team Tennis Coordinator of the Year: Carol Ostberg; Cropwell, Ala.
- Local League Coordinator of the Year: Iris Ham; Lake Norman, N.C.
- Mac MacDougal Tennis Official of the Year: Donna Mille-Williams; Oakland, Tenn.
- Marc Kaplan Media Excellence Award: Chris Godby; Russell Springs, Ky.
- Marilyn Sherman Spirit Award: Telfair Belangia; Greensboro, N.C.
- Member Organization of the Year: Rockingham County Schools; Eden, N.C.
- Mickey McNulty Family of the Year: The Hambrick Family; Louisville, Ky.
- NJTL Chapter of the Year: Greensboro Tennis Foundation; Greensboro, N.C.
- No-Cut Coach Starfish Award: Amy Martin; Columbia, S.C.
- Ozaki-Hastings Junior Sportsmanship Award: Wesley Barnett; Little Rock, Ark.
- Slew Hester Players of the Year: Diane Barker; Daniel Island, S.C.; Nik Makarenko; Suwanee, Ga.
- Southern Tennis Professional of the Year: Jody Bingham; Elizabethtown, Ky.
- Special Tennis Event of the Year: Special Populations Unified Doubles Tournament; Belton, S.C.
- Team Tennis Event of the Year: USTA Georgia 55 & Over League State Championships; Columbus, Ga.
- Tennis on Campus Club of the Year: University of North Carolina - Wilmington; Wilmington, N.C.
- Tennis on Campus Leader of the Year: Peter Whitehurst; University of Alabama; Tuscaloosa, Ala.
- Wheelchair Excellence Award: Jeremy Boyd: Tuscaloosa, Ala.