CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER
The United States Tennis Association (USTA) seeks a dynamic, strategic and innovative leader to facilitate the organization’s mission to grow and develop the sport of tennis in the United States. S/he will leverage data to create meaningful insights based on analytics and segmentation to identify core targets and messaging that advance USTA’s goal of becoming a trusted source and inspirational mentor in tennis. With a goal of shifting USTA’s emphasis from a focus on current membership to a focus of attracting millions of new players to the sport and retaining and increasing play among those already participating this executive will take a holistic approach across all USTA audiences, and lead the development and implementation of messaging and communications of new programs and events targeted at a variety of different audiences, adding value to the “tennis ecosystem”, and creating a “call to action”. S/he will work in close collaboration across the organization and its Sections (geographical regions) and will build digital capability and leverage digital technology to best understand customers, and align customer experience across touch points.
Highlights of the role:
- Promote and grow the sport of tennis in the US by engaging players and providers, fans, and members, building trust with them, and driving them to play, watch, attend and support the game, professionally, recreationally and competitively; getting more people, to engage in the game and to play more frequently, with a particular focus on youth and diversity.
- Build and drive execution of measurable actions plans from strategic foundation; provide industry-leading innovation in strategy, marketing and business planning derived from consumer centric research, analytics as well as creative thinking in order to clearly articulate the brand and priority customer targets and move the business forward.
- Oversee the creative development and execution of the national advertising campaign and fan promotions for the US Open, the Emirates Airline US Open Series, and other Professional Tennis events, including agency management, ad production, media planning and collaborate with senior staff on additional US Open initiatives, including on-site entertainment, video projects, on-site guest experience initiatives, etc.
- Unify and accelerate the implementation of innovative digital, data, and social media strategies for the USTA, and its events and programs, including the US Open. Ensure the most current tools, resources and best practices are leveraged for all engagement. Act as change agent and thought leader on modern forms of engagement.
- Oversee an integrated marketing strategy for all business units (Community Tennis, Pro-Tennis, Player Development and Foundation). Develop and lead a strong marketing organization that enables the business units to realize their objectives
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or related field or equivalent, MBA preferred.
- Accomplished professional with 20+ years’ experience, including leadership of a broad based marketing organization; may be a sitting CMO, but could also be a high potential “rising star” in a larger organization. Will likely have experience in a service business, and with a complex constituent base
- Acts as the voice of the customer and approaches the business with “one view of the customer”. Thinks about the business from the “outside in” based on a rigorous approach to understanding the market and the customer.
- Proven track record of building a brand and sales of products/services, across channels and media, and understands the direct connection between deep customer engagement and business performance.
- Experience furthering enterprise brand positioning while understanding the need to drive shorter term growth oriented programs; analytical foundation to ground and track these activities.
- Strong integrated marketing mindset; will understand the integration of customer acquisition/retention, brand experience, advertising, social media, PR, etc.
- Highly conceptual and able to combine consumer insights, in- depth in analytics and an intuitive understanding of “what’s next” and translate these into innovative and value added integrated initiatives.
- Experience working in customer centric and data rich businesses where driving traffic, customer engagement management (CEM) and customer experience are key components.
- Strong sense of brand and how to engage diverse constituents with a brand to further business objectives.
- While tennis experience or sports experience is not required, a personal connection and/or passion for the game of tennis would be advantageous.
For more details please contact:
Caren Fleit, Senior Client Partner, at (212) 984-9417 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liz Boardman, Senior Client Partner, at (212) 984-9436 Email: email@example.com
Zach Peikon, Senior Associate, at (212) 973-5845 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org