It is necessary to ensure, insofar as possible, that transgender athletes are not excluded from the opportunity to participate in sporting competitions.
The overriding sporting objective is and remains the guarantee of fair competition. Restrictions on participation are appropriate to the extent that they are necessary and proportionate to the achievement of this objective.
The USTA guidelines are a living document and will be subject to review in light of any scientific or medical developments. In the spirit of fostering an environment that provides for the opportunity to participate in sporting competitions, THE USTA follows the guidelines established by the IOC Consensus Meeting which are as follows:
- Those who transition from female to male are eligible to compete in the male category without restriction.
- Those who transition from male to female are eligible to compete in the female category under the following conditions:
- The athlete has declared that her gender identity is female. ADVERTISEMENT The declaration cannot be changed, for sporting purposes, for a minimum of four years.
- Hormonal therapy appropriate for the assigned sex has been administered in a verifiable manner and for a sufficient length of time to minimize gender-related advantages in sport competitions.
- In the event of non-compliance, the athlete’s eligibility for female competition will be suspended for 12 months.
B. Hyperandrogenism in Female Athletes
If an athlete is not eligible for female competition, the athlete should be eligible to compete in male competition.
C. League and Recreational Competition
On the league and recreational side of the equation, the USTA takes the position that we do not require confirmations of any of these items. Above all, we do not want to be an obstacle to recreational participation. We seek to respect all backgrounds, lifestyles and personal choices, and we take it on faith that players who compete under these rules are doing so not to gain a competitive advantage, but to enjoy participating in a manner in which they are comfortable.