Long Island Region
September 14, 2020
The USTA Eastern Long Island Region organizes all USTA tennis programs in Nassau and Suffolk Counties and reaches out to the entire Long Island community to bring tennis to people of all ages and skill levels. Our member organizations are tennis clubs, tennis facilities, parks, schools and community groups, all of whom support and foster tennis throughout Long Island.
- The USTA Long Island Regional Council celebrated its 2020 Award Winners at the New York Open! Click here to see a complete list of this year's honorees. Click here to see photos from the event.
- The Hempstead Lake Mixed 65 & Over summer league is looking for more players. ADVERTISEMENT Interested? Sign up today using Team #1003514911.
- Long Islander Sunny Fishkind was inducted into the USTA Eastern Hall of Fame on January 24.
- USTA Eastern honored Roberta Feldman, Robbie Wagner's Tournament Training Center and Hilary Bresler at its Eastern Tennis Conference on January 25.
- Send your photos from tennis events on LI to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can publish them on our site! (Please remember to send files as large as possible. At this time we can only publish horizontally oriented photos.)
Tennis Community Comes Out to New York Open to Celebrate USTA Long Island Champions
The best and brightest in the Long Island tennis community were honored on court with pro tennis champions John Isner and Jason Jung at the New York Open on February 12. Several hundred people attended the second round evening matches to celebrate the best in Long Island tennis.
In recognition of its 30th year, the Annual USTA Long Island Awards Ceremony was held at NYCB Live, the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum to take advantage of the unique benefits the New York Open ATP 250 event brings to the area. To see photos from the evening, please click here.
“What an amazing night and a fabulous time to be part of tennis on Long Island!” said Jonathan Klee, Executive Director, USTA Long Island Regional Council. “We were excited and proud to host our 30th Annual Long Island Awards by recognizing our honorees on court.
“We were thrilled to celebrate our longstanding awards tradition with the excitement of the New York Open Tournament. Long Island is very fortunate to have an ATP 250 event right here in our own backyard and it’s a wonderful opportunity for the USTA Long Island Region to support the New York Open’s third year. Combining the two events gave our award winners an opportunity to hear from and meet with touring players.”
The evening’s Prestigious Awards went to Mark Harrison (Hy Zausner Lifetime Achievement Award), Al Zebroski (Vitas Gerulaitis for the Love of Tennis Award), Hamlet Phillip (Arthur Ashe Multicultural Award) and the Goetz Family (Rose Buck Scalamandre Tennis Family of the Year). Sportsmanship awards were presented to Angela O'Leary (Birdie Tarulli League Captain Sportsmanship Award), Steve Subject (Blane Magee League Captain Sportsmanship Award), Christopher Qi (Anuj Agarwal Junior Sportsmanship Award) and Cassandra Dinulescu (Jennifer Sherry Junior Sportsmanship Award). In addition, awards were given for volunteering, community service, overcoming adversity, special programs, league team champions and adult and junior rankings. For a complete list of recipients, click here.
Click here for a directory of Long Island Providers.
Information will be posted here as it becomes available.
The Long Island Region Team
Adult League Coordinators
Tennis Service Representative
- Neil Thakur - email@example.com
Long Island Region Council
Regional Council Executive Committee
- Jonathan Klee, Regional Director
- Mike Pavlides, Past Regional Director
- Sunny Fishkind, Vice Regional Director
- Randi Wilkins, Secretary
- Terri Arnold-McKenzie, Secretary, Grant Committee
- Terri Arnold-McKenzie, Diversity & Inclusion Committee
- Scott Axler, Past Regional Director, Junior Competition Committee
- Shannon Blue, USTA League Committee Liaison
- Hilary Bressler, Events Planner, Awards Dinner Committee
- Daniel Burgess, Past Regional Director, Community Tennis Committee
- Steven Cloughen, Awards Dinner Committee
- Chris Colesanti, Adult League Committee
- Craig Fligstein, Veterans and Community Service Liaison
- Wayne Freeman, USTA League Committee Liason
- Herb Harris, Grant Committee, Community Development Liaison
- Eileen Leonard, Competition Training Committee
- Tito Perez, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Junior Team Tennis Committee
- Fabiana Rezak, Community Tennis Liaison
- Clark D. Ruiz II, Nassau County Delegate
- Denise Schmidt, Events Planner, Awards Dinner Committee
- Michelle Stoerback, Awards Dinner Committee
- Jason Wass, Suffolk County Delegate
To learn more about us, email firstname.lastname@example.org.