PRO CIRCUIT ROUND-UP:
Bektas, Shane win all-U.S. finals
Sally Milano | September 25, 2017
Just two weeks after the all-American women's singles final was played between champion Sloane Stephens and runner-up Madison Keys at the US Open, the USTA Pro Circuit contested two all-U.S. finals of its own.
In the first, former University of Michigan star Emina Bektas, of Indianapolis, defeated Maria Sanchez, of Modesto, Calif., 6-4, 6-2, in the final of the ColemanVision Tennis Championships in Albuquerque.
Bektas (pictured above), who graduated from Michigan in 2015 as the all-time leader in both singles and combined wins, began the tournament with a 6-4, 7-6 (5) upset over No. 2 seed Sofia Kenin, who reached the third round at this year's US Open. From there, the 24-year-old's road to the final included tough three-set wins over American qualifier Sabrina Santamaria in the second round and No.
8 seed Sesil Karatantcheva of Bulgaria in the quarterfinals, and she wrapped up her title run with straight-sets wins against Sherazad Reix of France in the semifinals and Sanchez in the final.
In Laguna Niguel, Calif., another former college star, Ryan Shane, swept both the singles and doubles titles in all-U.S. finals at the Laguna Niguel USTA Pro Futures.
In singles, the fourth-seeded Shane dropped just one set en route to his third career pro singles title, defeating Henry Craig, 6-3, 6-3, in the final. In doubles, he and partner Ronnie Schneider captured the championship with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Trevor Allen Johnson and Patrick Kawka.
Shane, a 23-year-old native of Falls Church, Va., graduated from the University of Virginia in 2016. He won the NCAA singles title during his junior year, was a member of three NCAA championship teams (2013, 2015, 2016) and earned All-America honors during his junior and senior seasons.
Other American highlights from USTA and ITF Pro Circuit events last week include:
- Irina Falconi won the singles title at the $100,000 ITF Pro Circuit even in Tampico, Mexico, defeating Louisa Chirico in the third all-American singles final to take place last week. Jennifer Brady also reached the semifinals in Tampico, while Usue Arconado advanced to the quarterfinals. In doubles, Caroline Dolehide won the title, and Kaitlyn Christian reached the final.
- In addition to Bektas' and Sanchez's performances in Albuquerque, Sophie Chang advanced to the singles semifinals and Sanaz Marand reached the singles quarterfinals.
- Victoria Duval won the doubles title and finished runner-up in singles at the $25,000 USTA Pro Circuit Collegiate Series event in Lubbock, Texas. Gabrielle Smith reached the singles semifinals, while Robin Anderson, Hanna Chang and Rasheeda McAdoo advanced to the singles quarterfinals.
- Lauren Albanese and Asia Muhammad reached the singles semifinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $25,000 event in Penrith, Australia.
- Amy Zhu won the doubles title at the ITF Pro Circuit $15,000 tournament in Hammamet, Tunisia.
- Dasha Ivanova reached the singles quarterfinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $15,000 event in Antalya, Turkey.
- Denis Kudla won the doubles title and reached the singles quarterfinals at the USTA Pro Circuit Collegiate Series ATP $75,000 Challenger in Columbus, Ohio. In addition, Dennis Novikov reached the singles semifinals and Evan King advanced to the singles quarterfinals.
- Bjorn Fratangelo was a singles quarterfinalist at the ATP €43,000 Challenger in Sibiu, Romania.
- Nicholas Hu won the doubles title and reached the singles semifinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $25,000 tournament in Niagara, Canada. In addition, Gary Kushnirovich advanced to the doubles final and the singles quarterfinals, Harrison Adams reached the singles semifinals, and Dennis Nevolo advanced to the singles quarterfinals.
- Nathaniel Lammons and Alex Lawson teamed to win the doubles title at the ITF Pro Circuit $25,000 event in Plaisir, France.
- At Laguna Niguel, in addition to Shane, Craig, Schneider, Kawka and Johnson's appearances in the singles and doubles finals, Collin Altamirano, Johnson and Hunter Callahan reached the singles semifinals, and Tom Fawcett advanced to the singles quarterfinals.
- Cameron Silverman reached the singles quarterfinals at the ITF Pro Circuit $15,000 event in Coimbatore, India.
- Evan Zhu won the doubles title at the ITF Pro Circuit $15,000 event in Hammamet, Tunisia.