Pro Circuit Round-Up:
Dolehide wins Florida event
Arthur Kapetanakis | April 16, 2018
Caroline Dolehide made headlines on the WTA level in March, when she made the third round at the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, Calif., and took the opening set off No. 1 Simona Halep.
On Sunday, in her second tournament since Indian Wells, Dolehide won the $60,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Indian Harbour Beach, Fla. With the win, she moves into first place after Week 1 of the Roland Garros Wild Card Challenge.
The trophy, her fourth at the ITF level, continues a career year for the 19-year-old, who was rewarded with a new career-high WTA Tour singles ranking of No. 120.
While she could not get the better of Halep in Indian Wells, Dolehide did move past the top-seeded Madison Brengle in Indian Harbour Beach, albeit via walkover.
That set up a championship encounter with Romanian Irina Maria Bara. ADVERTISEMENT With her 6-4, 7-5 victory, Dolehide completed the tournament without dropping a set in five matches.
American Taylor Townsend went three sets with Bara in the semifinals, losing, 6-7, 7-5, 7-5, in the match of the tournament.
Rounding out the American effort in Indian Harbour Baach, Sophie Chang was a singles quarterfinalist, while Jessica Pegula and Maria Sanchez reached the doubles final.
Elsewhere on the USTA Pro Circuit, the American doubles paring of Collin Altamirano and Vasil Kirkov defeated compatriots Henry Craig and Miles Seeman, via walkover, in the final of the $25,000 event in Little Rock, Ark. The champions defeated the No. 1-seeded duo of Andre Goransson (Sweden) and Florian Lakat (France) in the opening round and rolled to the title without dropping more than four games in a single set.
Here are some other notable results of Americans competing on the USTA and ITF circuits last week:
- Harrison Adams and Sam Riffice were singles semifinalists at the $25,000 USTA Futures event in Little Rock, Ark., where Altamirano, Henry Craig and Michael Redlicki all made the quarterfinals.
- Peter Kobelt reached the singles quarterfinals at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- Allie Kiick reached the singles final at the $25,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Pelham, Ala., while Ashley Kratzer and Maria Mateas reached the quarterfinals. Mateas was also a doubles finalist.
- Chiara Scholl was a doubles finalist at the $25,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Santa Margherita Di Pula, Italy.
- Shelby Talcott was a singles quarterfinalist at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- Bryan Barten was a men's quad singles semifinalist at the Daegu Open ITF 1 Series in Daegu, South Korea.
- Dana Mathewson was a women's doubles finalist in the same event.