Pro Circuit Round-up:
Min wins 10th singles title
Arthur Kapetanakis | June 11, 2018
Grace Min won her 10th career USTA Pro Circuit singles title on Sunday at the $25,000 event in Bethany Beach, Del., after emerging from a field that included seven American quarterfinalists.
After qualifying for the French Open with a trio of three-set qualifying wins, Min gracefully transitioned from the red dirt of Paris to the green clay stateside and dropped just one set on her way to the trophy. She has now won at least one Pro Circuit title every year since 2014.
Min, the 2011 US Open girls’ singles champion, was the top seed in Delaware and defeated No. 3 Katerina Stewart, 6-4, 6-2, in an all-American final.
Her toughest match of the week came in the quarterfinals against No. 8 Jessica Pegula, where she dropped a second-set tiebreak before regrouping to dismiss her compatriot.
The 24-year-old Min, who spent five weeks in the WTA Top 100 in 2015, moves up to No. ADVERTISEMENT 181 with the result, 73 places above her No. 254 position at the start of the year.
Min has played in the main draw at all of the majors except Wimbledon and will hope to change that when qualifying for the London tournament begins on June 25.
In Delaware, Ashley Kratzer, the No. 2 seed, was the third American semifinalist. Pegula, Raveena Kingsley, Robin Anderson and Usue Arconada rounded out the seven U.S. quarterfinalists.
In the doubles competition, Anderson and Maegan Manasse defeated Sanaz Marand and Quinn Gleason in yet another all-U.S. final.
As the Americans dominated the clay at home, Alison Riske scored her first ITF-level title since 2016 in Great Britain, as she won the $100,000 event in Surbiton. Riske, the No. 2 seed, defeated Kristie Ahn, 6-0, 6-4, in the quarterfinals.
Other notable results from Americans on the ITF circuit include:
- Francesca Di Lorenzo was a singles semifinalist at the $60,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Brescia, Italy.
- Jacqueline Cako reached the quarterfinals at the $25,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Hua Hin, Thailand.
- Jessica Ho was a doubles finalist at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Madrid, Spain.
- Denis Kudla was a singles quarterfinalist at the ATP Challenger event in Surbiton, Great Britain.
- Alafia Ayeni was a singles quarterfinalist at the $25,000 ITF Futures event in Yinchuan, China.
- Peter Kobelt reached the singles final at the $25,000 ITF Futures event in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Alec Adamson was a doubles finalist at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Sangju, Korea.
- Connor Farren reached the singles semis and the doubles final at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Nick Taylor was a quad doubles finalist at the Plock Orlen Polish Open ITF 2 Series event in Plock, Poland.
(Photo courtesy of Grace Min)