Pro Circuit Round-Up:
Muhammad wins Rancho Santa Fe
Sally Milano | February 26, 2018
Asia Muhammad was already a three-time doubles champion at the Morgan Run Women's Open, a $25,000 USTA Pro Circuit event held in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif. Now the 26-year-old native of Las Vegas has added a singles title from the tournament to her resume.
Muhammad captured the singles championship last week in Rancho Santa Fe, defeating Japan's Kurumi Nara in a third-set tiebreak, 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 (3), in the 2-hour, 31-minute final.
Muhammad kicked off the tournament by upsetting No. 6 seed Su Jeong Jang of Korea in the first round. She knocked off two other seeds en route to the title, including No. 3 Sachia Vickery, 6-2, 2-6, 7-5, in the semifinals and No. 2 Nara in the final.
Muhammad, who won doubles titles in Rancho Santa Fe in 2013, 2015 and 2016, has now won five singles and 23 doubles titles overall on the USTA Pro Circuit and ITF Circuit.
Known primarily as a doubles specialist, she has won two WTA doubles titles (2015 s'Hertogenbosch, 2016 Guangzhou) during her career and reached the doubles quarterfinals at the 2016 US Open.
In Rancho Santa Fe doubles action, the top-seeded American team of Kaitlyn Christian and Sabrina Santamaria defeated Taylor Townsend of the U.S. and Eva Hrdinova of the Czech Republic, 6-7 (6), 6-1 [10-6], for the championship.
Here are results of other Americans competing on the USTA and ITF Circuits last week:
- Dennis Novikov won the singles title at the Morelos Open ATP $50,000 Challenger in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Kevin King and Alex Sarkissian advanced to the singles quarterfinals, and Evan King and Nathan Pasha teamed up to reach the doubles final at the tournament.
- John-Paul Fruttero won the doubles title at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit Futures event in Vale Do Lobo, Portugal.
Collin Altamirano reached the singles quarterfinal at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit Futures event in Antalya, Turkey.
- In additon to Muhammad and Vickery's singles performances in Rancho Santa Fe, Ann Li reached the semifinals, and Victoria Duval advanced to the quarterfinals at the tournament.
- Quinn Gleason won the doubles title at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Solarino, Italy.
- Anastasia Nefedova won the doubles title and reached the singles quarterfinals, while Ellis Halbauer finished runner-up in doubles at the 15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Hammamet, Tunisia.
- Dana Matthewson reached the doubles final and singles semifinals at the Bolton Indoors ITF 2 Series event in Bolton, England.