Pro Circuit Round-Up:
Americans sweep titles in Orlando
Arthur Kapetanakis | March 12, 2018
A trio of young Americans made home-court advantage count on Sunday by sweeping the singles and doubles titles at the USTA National Campus Pro Tennis Classic in Orlando, Fla. Sophie Chang (pictured) claimed her first career USTA Pro Circuit singles crown at the $15,000 event, while Whitney Osuigwe and Caty McNally scored the doubles title.
Chang, who also holds six Pro Circuit doubles title, won her maiden singles trophy with a 6-3, 7-6 victory over No. 6 Astra Sharma of Australia in the final. The 20-year-old, who hails from Havre de Grace, Md., did not drop a set in five matches in the tournament. She was tested by American Katerina Stewart in the quarterfinals, but the No. 3 seed came through, 7-6, 6-4, before easing past No. 2 Chanel Simmonds of South Africa in the semifinals.
Osuigwe and McNally were even more dominant in their title run, holding opponents to five games or less in each of their four matches. ADVERTISEMENT The No. 3 seeds’ toughest test came in the final, where they defeated the top-seeded pairing of Dia Evtimova of Bulgaria and Ilona Kremen of Belarus, 6-2, 6-3.
The teens are a familiar duo, having reached the final of junior Wimbledon in 2017. Osuigwe, of Bradenton, Fla., is the world No. 1 junior and 2017 junior French Open singles champion. The 15-year-old reached the quarterfinals of the Orlando singles event before falling to Sharma in a third-set tiebreak. McNally, a 16-year-old Cincinnati native, is currently No. 29 in the junior ITF rankings. She was turned back in the opening round of singles play.
Rounding out the American effort, Jessica Pegula was a semifinalist in Orlando, while Usue Arconada reached the quarterfinals.
Here are results of other Americans competing on the ITF Circuit last week:
- Ellie Halbauer swept the singles and doubles titles at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Hammamet, Tunisia.
- Quinn Gleason reached both the singles and doubles finals at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Solarino, Italy.
- Nadja Gilchrist was a singles quarterfinalist at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- Kariann Pierre-Louis won the doubles crown at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Heraklion, Greece.
- Catherine Harrison and Sarah Lee teamed to win the doubles title at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Antalya, Turkey.
- Michael Redlicki reached the final, JC Aragone reached the semifinals, and Chris Eubanks advanced to the quarterfinals in singles play at the $25,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Sherbrooke, Canada.
- Robert Galloway reached the doubles final at the $15,000 ITF Pro Circuit event in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt.
- Daniel Nguyen won the singles title at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Nishi-Tama, Japan.
- Mitchell McDaniels advanced to the singles semifinals at the $15,000 ITF Futures event in Jerba, Tunisia.