Pro Circuit Round-up:
Arconada sweeps titles
Arthur Kapetanakis | June 11, 2019
While several Americans made deep runs at Roland Garros on the Paris dirt, Usue Arconada starred on home soil with a pair of titles last week in Bethany Beach, Del. Also stateside, Nathan Ponwith made his mark in Champaign, Ill., with his first ITF singles crown.
The 20-year-old Arconada (pictured above, left), who was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, before relocating to the U.S., took home the singles and doubles titles at the USTA Pro Circuit and ITF World Tennis Tour W25 event in Delaware. It was her second career ITF singles title, and first since 2015.
The top-seeded champion defeated Natasha Subhash, 6-1, 6-1, in the singles final. Sophie Chang and Katerina Stewart also made deep runs at the event, with each reaching the quarterfinals.
In doubles action, Arconada teamed with Hayley Carter (above, right) to win the trophy as the top-seeded duo. A 2016 junior Wimbledon doubles champion, with Claire Lium, Arconada achieved a career-high combined junior ranking of No. ADVERTISEMENT 5 in 2015.
On the men's Pro Circuit, Thai-Son Kwiatkowski reached the semifinals at the ATP Challenger 90 event in Little Rock, Ark., where four other Americans reached the quarterfinals: Christopher Eubanks, Mitchell Krueger, Raymond Sarmiento and Ryan Shane. Max Schnur reached the doubles final at the event.
Ponwith was crowned champion at the ITF M15 event in Champaign, after topping Strong Kirchheimer, 7-6, 6-4, in the final. Sumit Sarkar reached the semifinals at the event, where he fell to Ponwith, while Trent Bryde, Zeke Clark and Tom Fawcett finished as quarterfinalists.
Outside the U.S., Alison Riske took home the singles title at the ITF World Tennis Tour W100 event in Surbiton, Great Britain, where Caty McNally was a semifinalist. Also on the Surbiton grass, Jennifer Brady teamed with Caroline Dolehide for the doubles title.
Other American highlights on the ITF Circuit include:
- Allie Kiick reached the ITF WTT W60 event in Torun, Poland, where Robin Anderson was a doubles finalist.
- Louisa Chirico was a singles quarterfinalist at the W60 event in Brescia, Italy.
- Maegan Manasse reached the singles quarterfinals at the W25 event in Shenzhen, China.
- Jennifer Elie was a singles quarterfinalist at the W25 event in Daegu, Korea.
- Solymar Colling reached the singles semifinals at the W15 event in Cancun, Mexico, where Zoe Scandalis and Alyssa Tobita were singles quarterfinalists.
- Denis Kudla was a singles semifinalist at the ATP Challenger 125 event in Surbiton, Great Britain.
- Korey Lovett was a doubles finalist at the M25 event in Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Alec Adamson reached the singles semifinals at the M15 event in Singapore.
- Connor Farren was a singles finalist at the M15 event in Cancun, Mexico, where Adam El Mihdawy reached the semis and Errol Smith reached the quarters.