Team USA in Review:
Pat Mitsch | July 10, 2017
Consistent results from a veteran and breakthrough performances from a relative newcomer led to Donald Young and CiCi Bellis being named Team USA Players of the Month for June.
The 27-year-old Young first reached the doubles final at the French Open, where he and Santiago Gonzalez fell to compatriot Ryan Harrison and Michael Venus. Young then made a seamless transition to grass, reaching singles finals both at the London Queen’s Club ATP 500 event and the ATP 250 the next week in Eastbourne.
The 18-year-old Bellis had similar success on both clay and grass. In her Roland Garros debut, Bellis beat 18th-seeded Kiki Bertens to reach the third round. Then, making her grass-court debut on the WTA tour, she toppled fourth-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro in the first round in Mallorca en route to a semifinal finish. ADVERTISEMENT
Other top results from Americans on tour in June:
- Ryan Harrison and Bethanie Mattek-Sands won doubles titles at Roland Garros – Harrison’s first at a Grand Slam and Mattek-Sands’ fifth.
- Bob and Mike Bryan won their 113th doubles title together, at the ATP 250 event in Eastbourne.
- Kristie Ahn reached her first WTA quarterfinal, at the International event in Nottingham.
Players to win singles titles at $25,000 Pro Circuit events:
- Nicole Gibbs, at the USTA Pro Circuit event in Baton Rouge, La., over fellow American Francesca Di Lorenzo. Gibbs then reached the final the next week, in Auburn, Ala.
- Chris Eubanks – his first professional singles title – at the USTA Pro Circuit Collegiate Series tournament in Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Tommy Paul, at the second USTA Pro Circuit Collegiate Series tournament in Winston-Salem, N.C., over Eubanks.
- Danielle Collins, at the USTA Pro Circuit event in Bethany Beach, Del., over fellow American Lauren Embree.
- Christian Harrison, at the USTA Pro Circuit Men’s Futures in Tulsa, Okla.
- Alex Sarkissian, at the Men’s Futures in Kelowna, Canada.
- Bernarda Pera, at the ITF Circuit event in Stuttgart-Vaihingen, Germany.
- Ashley Lahey, at the USTA Pro Circuit event in Sumter, S.C., over Di Lorenzo.
Players to win singles titles at $15,000 Pro Circuit events:
- Alex Rybakov, at the USTA Pro Circuit Men’s Futures in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Sanaz Marand, at an ITF Circuit event in Istanbul.
- Alexa Graham, at a $15,000 event in Victoria, B.C.
- Daniel Nguyen, at a $15,000 event in Gimcheon, Korea.