Wagner, Barten and Mathewson Return to US Open
Three of America’s best wheelchair players are slated to return to battle on the hard courts of Flushing Meadows in September at the US Open Wheelchair Competition.
In its 11th edition, the wheelchair competition features six divisions set to play out from Sept. 6-9 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
The 2018 US Open Wheelchair Competition presented by Deloitte will feature a men’s, women’s and quad division, with singles and doubles action in all three categories, with the field featuring 18 or the Top 20 wheelchair tennis athletes from around the globe.
Amongst these athletes are top American wheelchair tennis players, David Wagner, Bryan Barten and Dana Mathewson.
In the quad division, eight-time finalist and three-time US Open Wheelchair Competition quad singles champion Wagner will be representing the United States. Currently, world ranked No. 1, Wagner, who hails from Walla Walla, Washington, will be looking to claim his ninth doubles title in the Big Apple.
"I am excited to be returning to NYC and having the chance to defend both singles and doubles," said Wagner. "I love playing in my home country's Grand Slam. I look forward to the fans, the awesome atmosphere and seeing all the new changes at Flushing Meadows. "
Joining Wagner in the quad division is fellow Team USA World Cup teammate Barten. The Hart, Mich., will be making his second appearance in the quad event and is currently ranked No.7 in the world.
Member of the Team USA women’s team, Mathewson, will be making her second showing in the women’s draw after receiving a wild card. In 2017, Mathewson, who is currently ranked No. 11 in the world, paired up with Aniek Van Koot of the Netherlands for a runners-up finish in the doubles competition.
“I’m beyond excited to return to Flushing Meadows this year," said Mathewson. "Playing in a major tournament like the US Open, especially as an American, is unlike any other tennis experience I’ve ever had. The atmosphere is incredible, and I can’t wait to compete there again. I had a great run in doubles last year, reaching the finals and I’m hoping to do just as well, if not better this year. I’m hoping to improve on my singles performance as well.”
For more information on the US Open wheelchair competition, visit USOpen.org, and keep with USTA Wheelchair Tennis here.
Related Articles
-
Tommy Paul, Ethan Quinn, Emilio Nava and the doubles pair of Christian Harrison and Austin Krajicek all notched wins for the United States Davis Cup Team in a 4-0 victory in Hungary. Read More
-
Veteran Tommy Paul and rookie Ethan Quinn will lead the U.S. into its Davis Cup Qualifying First Round tie this weekend vs. Hungary on indoor red clay in Tatabanya. Read More
-
Paul joins the team for his 11th tie, while Harrison replaces Rajeev Ram in his debut Davis Cup nomination. Read More