USTA Eastern Celebrates
Black History Month
USTA Eastern | January 15, 2018
USTA Eastern will be hosting an African American Coaches Symposium. The theme of this event is Developing World Class Athletes and Becoming Industry Leaders.
When: Friday, February 2nd
Time: 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Where: Kela Tennis
431 Garden Ave
Mount Vernon, N.Y. 10553
This event is FREE and includes tennis round robin play, food and a networking session with Kela Simunyola, Marvin Dent, Yasmine Osborn and prominent African American tennis industry leaders.
- Runs Kela Indoor Tennis in Mount Vernon, N.Y.
- Dedicated coach who excels in junior player development
- Enjoys watching his family participate in tennis, he attended the 2017 USTA Eastern Junior Awards Gala to see his granddaughter, Ligaya Murray, who was recognized for achieving No. 1-ranking in the 10 and Under age division
- As Ligaya's coach, Simunyola particularly enjoys watching her improve and have fun on the court
To learn more about Simunyola, click here to read an article on USOpen.org.
- High performance coach for over 30 years and 15 years with the USTA
- Coached Cote D'Ivoire West Africa in the Davis Cup from 1981 - 1986
- Served as an ATP Tour Coach from 1987 - 1994
- Kansas State University record-breaker for most tennis matches won
- Served as the Diversity Coordinator for USTA Midwest
- Served as the Director of Diversity, Grants and Community Development for USTA Southern
- Currently the National Manager of Diversity and Inclusion for USTA