CTA Spotlight: Love To Serve, Inc.
Love To Serve, Inc.
Location and USTA Midwest District:
Chicago, IL | Chicago
Brief History of Organization:
Love To Serve, Inc. was founded in 1992 by CEO L. LaMont Bryant, a tennis professional and former school teacher who wanted to create structured tennis and academic programming for students to enjoy after class, on the weekends and during the summer. Coach Bryant recognized a need for programming that would provide access to this non-traditional sport, particularly for under-served youth in Chicago. Bryant wanted to establish an organization that would keep youth off the streets and create an arena for them to participate in.
Through hard work, dedication and the development of strategic partnerships, Love To Serve, Inc. has become a nationally recognized organization that serves hundreds of student-athletes annually and empowers them to go into the world and succeed. The organization provides an environment for kids from the west side and south side—all over Chicago—to spend time learning about tennis tournaments, college test-taking and leadership skills.
Programs and Services Offered:
Love To Serve, Inc. provides a variety of tennis and educational opportunities for children in elementary school through high school, and that includes college prep.
- Developmental Tennis Program is for youth ages 7 to 18 and provides year-round tennis training for beginners to tournament-level players.
- ACT/SAT/College Readiness Program prepares students to be successful in their home lives; on the tennis court as well as in the classroom. Students receive tennis training throughout the week and attend workshops throughout the year in the following areas: ACT/SAT preparation, scholarship and college application completion, essay preparation and resume writing.
- Apprenticeship Teaching and Training Program teaches youth and young adults the skills necessary to be hired as skilled tennis instructors at Chicago Park District sites.
- Youth Health and Wellness Program recognizes that “health and wellness" are crucial but often under-addressed aspects of youth in under-resourced communities. Youth are taught how to identify their areas of personal strength and attend health and wellness workshops.
Proudest Moment/Most Exciting Event:
One of Love to Serve’s players, Sanai McBride, won the 2022 USTA Foundation NJTL Essay Contest in the 13-14 age division. Sanai was awarded a trip to New York and was honored during a luncheon at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
What Is One Thing You Want Everyone To Know About Your CTA:
The one thing Love To Serve, Inc. wants people to know is that this organization strives to uphold its name. Its leaders love to serve the youth and families in Chicago's communities.
Tell Us About Any Upcoming Events or Promotions:
On Sunday, December 17th from 4-7 pm, Love To Serve, Inc. will be sponsoring a fundraiser to support its Tennis, Self-Care/Wellness and ACT/SAT Prep programming.
- Sanai McBride won a trip to New York and visited the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.
- Youth of Love To Serve, Inc. spend time learning about tennis tournaments, college test-taking and leadership skills.
- Love To Serve, Inc. provides opportunities for children in elementary school all the way through high school.
The organization welcomes everyone to come out and support its year-end fundraiser "Rollin with Santa's Tennis Elves." This event will take place at the Glenwood Skate Arena in Glenwood, Illinois. Donations are $25. Each donation is entered into a raffle to receive two free round-trip airline tickets!
Sign up for our Newsletter
Sign up for our Newsletter