Team USA Ready for ITF
Seniors World Team Championships
E.J. Crawford | October 20, 2017
The best American tennis players 50 and over are preparing to take on the world.
The U.S. teams have been named for the 2017 International Tennis Federation Seniors World Team Championships, to be held Oct. 29-Nov. 3 in Miami Beach, Fla., and Key Biscayne, Fla.
In all, more than 120 athletes from 34 countries are slated to compete in the 50-, 55- and 60-and-over equivalents to Davis Cup and Fed Cup competition. Team USA is the two-time defending champion in the Alice Marble Cup (women’s 60 & over) and last year finished as runner-up for the Maria Esther Bueno Cup (women’s 50 & over) and the Von Cramm Cup (men’s 60 & over).
Following the ITF Seniors World Team Championships, the World Individual Championships will be held at the same locations, Nov. 4-11.
Below is a list of players representing the U.S.:ADVERTISEMENT
Fred Perry Cup - Men's 50 & over
1. Young Kwon, Marlton, N.J.
2. Rick Leach, Newport Beach, Calif.
3. Andy Stoner, Cave Creek, Ariz.
4. Arthur Hernandez, Huntington Beach, Calif., Captain
Austria Cup - Men's 55 & over
1. Michael Tammen, Portland, Ore., Captain
2. Kenneth White, Elma, N.Y.
3. William Moss, Malibu, Calif.
4. Stuart Saiki, Orlando, Fla.
Von Cramm Cup - Men's 60 & over
1. Ross Persons, Houston, Captain
2. Maxime Buyckx, Marietta, Ga.
3. Sal Castillo, San Antonio
4. Wes Cash
Maria Esther Bueno Cup - Women's 50 & over
1. Rosalyn Nideffer, San Diego, Captain
2. Jenny Klitch, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
3. Nathalie Herreman-Bagby, Pacific Palisades, Calif.
4. Shelly Works, San Antonio
Maureen Connolly Cup - Women's 55 & over
1. Tracy Houk, Montara, Calif., Captain
2. Vicki Vasicek Buholz, Dallas
3. Judy Newman, Scotts Valley, Calif.
4. Tracy Thompson, San Diego
Alice Marble Cup - Women's 60 & over
1. Diane Barker, Daniel Island, S.C.
2. Susan Wright, Grand Junction, Colo.,
3. Patricia Purcell, St. Louis
4. Leslie Airola-Murveit, Portola Valley, Calif.
Pictured: The 2016 Maureen Connolly Cup team of (L to R) Diane Barker, Susan Wright, Vicky Buholz and Cindy Trower-Johnson.