IT'S GEORGIA WINNING
SOUTHERN SENIOR CUP
Ron Cioffi | June 6, 2017
Georgia won the Mildred Southern Cup and also tied North Carolina for the Gil Stacy Memorial Cup at the 2017 Southern Cup played June 1-4, 2017 in Huntsville, AL.
2017 Final Results
Mildred Southern Cup (awarded to overall winner)
- Winner: Georgia (66 points)
- 2nd Place: North Carolina (62 points)
- 3rd Place: Tennessee (59 points)
- 4th Place: South Carolina (55 points)
- 5th Place: Alabama (30 points)
Gil Stacy Memorial Cup (most individual points won)
- Winner: Tie -- Georgia and North Carolina (57 points each)
- 3rd Place: South Carolina (51 points)
- 4th Place: Alabama (47 points)
- 5th Place: Tennessee (46 points)
Women’s Overall Scoring Title
- Winner: North Carolina (42 points)
- 2nd Place: South Carolina (36 points)
- 3rd Place: Tennessee (34 points)
- 4th Place: Georgia (22 points)
- 5th Place: Alabama (12 points)
Men’s Overall Scoring Title
- Winner: Georgia (44 points)
- 2nd Place: Tennessee (25 points)
- 3rd Place: North Carolina (20 points)
- 4th Place: South Carolina (19 points)
- 5th Place: Alabama (18 points)
Age Group Results
- Women's 35 Championship: TN def. ADVERTISEMENT NC, 2-1.
- Women's 45 Championship: NC def. AR, 2-1.
- Women's 55 Championship: SC def. TN, 2-1.
- Women's 65 Championship: SC def. NC, 3-0.
- Women's 75 Championship: NC def. AL, 2-0.
- Men's 35 Championship: GA def. TN, 2-1.
- Men's 45 Championship: AR def. TN, 3-0.
- Men's 55 Championship: MS def. GA, 2-1.
- Men's 65 Championship: GA def. NC, 3-0.
- Men's 75 Championship: SC def. GA, 2-1.
The event drew more than 300 players in team competition for men and women in the 35, 45, 55, 65, and 75 age categories with a team match format of two singles and one doubles. The players in the field include former collegiate All-Americans, NCAA champions and professional players. Each state will vie for a chance at the Mildred Southern Cup, Gil Stacy Cup, and the men and women’s overall scoring title.
Tani Deaton and Huntsville Tennis Center continue to make this event very turnkey, and like previous years, coordinated another successful championship. The tournament also would not have been possible without the efforts from the tournament staff who volunteered their time to make this tournament a success:Jeff Gray, Helen Martin and Nancy Vineyard. Also staffing the event were Chris Walling and Marita Edrosa of USTA Southern and Deanna Garretson of USTA Arkansas.
Walling said, "I want to take this time to thank all of our captains for the effort and time commitment involved in coordinating Senior Cup teams. USTA Southern would not be able to host this tournament without our captains; so thank you for allowing us an opportunity to host this great event. I have enjoyed getting to know each of you more with each Senior Cup. And kudos to our five new captains (Boo Mason from Alabama, Sally Thompson and John Cox from Mississippi, Aimee Norris from North Carolina and Mike Parker from Tennessee) for a great job in their first year of captaining.
"A big thank you to all the players who participated this year as well. This event showcased some of the best tennis in the Section, and we are proud to host an event of such caliber. I heard several times in the last few days about how the competition gets better and better each year. I could not agree more!"
Huntsville Tennis Center
2305 Airport Road; Huntsville, AL 35805