Southern universities win HBCU crowns
The 2023 HBCU National Tennis Championships held in South Fulton, Ga., at the South Fulton Tennis Center from Sept. 14-17 was a spectacular event.
With 18 HBCU teams representing 10 different states, the tennis displayed was of an exceptional caliber. Players represented a wide diversity, with Black, Hispanic and other international students.
After four thrilling days of tennis action, the men's team from Tennessee State and the women's team from North Carolina Central emerged as the champions. The HBCU National Championships, which have been held for over 20 years, provides the rare opportunity for schools of all conferences and division levels to test their skills. Here is the tournament website.
Here are the 2023 champions:
- Men's team: Tennessee State, 88; second, Alabama A&M
- Women's team: North Carolina Central, 108; second, Florida A&M, 93
- Men's A doubles: Jacobi Bain/Nereo Suarez [Xavier/Louisiana] def. Jonasz Dziopak/Taj Hibbert [Tennessee State] 7-6(4)
- Women's A doubles: Mbali Langa/McKenna Wheatley [Xavier/Louisiana] def. Veronica Rodriguez/Sierra Sandy [Florida A&M] 6-4
- Women's B doubles: Sara Rakim/Rebekkah Gaines [Florida A&M] def. Ena Arnautovic/Lizaveta Dzemchanka [Alabama State] 6-1
- Did not play: Singles, men's B doubles
Special shoutout to the men’s and women’s winning teams from the Southern section @tennesseestateuniversity and @northcarolinacentraluniversity. Rep your HBCU in the comments! #HBCUTennis #USTA #ITA
Facebook photo gallery. Photos: Jesus Villamizar Abia
Instagram photo gallery. Photos: Jesus Villamizar Abia
USTA Southern and South Atlanta Tennis sponsored the 2023 HBCU Recruiting Showcase. For a photo gallery, click here.