Tim Garcia, Andy Stoner Chosen For
ITF Senior World Team Championships
October 23, 2017
USTA ANNOUNCES TEAMS FOR 2017 ITF SENIORS WORLD TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS
Miami Beach and Key Biscayne Tennis Facilities to host more than 120 international athletes from 34 countries
Two Southwest men's players among those chosen to represent
ORLANDO, Fla.– The United States Tennis Association (USTA) recently announced the players who will represent the United States at the International Tennis Federation (ITF) Seniors World Team Championships, which will be held Oct. 29 – Nov. 3 at various tennis facilities in Miami Beach and Key Biscayne, Fla.
Two Southwest men - Andy Stoner of Cave Creek, Arizona, and Tim Garcia, of Santa Fe, New Mexico, were chosen as Team USA members.
The tournament is the senior tennis equivalent of the Davis Cup and Fed Cup competitions, with top American tennis players representing their country in the 50-, 55- and 60- and-over age groups.ADVERTISEMENT
The U.S. will enter the event as the defending champion of the Alice Marble Cup (Women’s 60 & over) and look to repeat for the third time. The American team will also look to regain titles in the Maria Esther Bueno Cup (Women’s 50 & over) and Von Cramm Cup (Men’s 60 & over) after finishing runners-up last year.
Stoner, of Cave Creek, Ariz., is the owner of 26 age group national championship gold balls, including his most recent in Men's 50 doubles at the USTA National Grass Court Championships in Philadelphia, in August. He has been ranked No. 1 in almost every age group, and is a past Team USA participant.
Garcia, of Santa Fe, NM, is currently the No. 13 ranked player in Men's 60s in the country, with a semifinal finish this past spring at the Men's 60s Hard Court Championships in California. Garcia, a former NCAA semifinalist in singles (1976) for the New Mexico Lobos, is also the current volunteer president of USTA Southwest.
The ITF Seniors World Team Championships will be held at the following venues: North Shore, Miami Beach (Maria Esther Bueno Cup); Crandon Park Tennis, Key Biscayne (Alice Marble Cup, Austria Cup and Maureen Connolly Cup); Key Biscayne Facility – Crandon Golf Course, Key Biscayne (Von Cramm Cup) and Flamingo Park Tennis Center, Miami Beach (Fred Perry Cup).
Following the ITF Seniors World Team Championships, the World Individual Championships will be held Nov. 4-11.
Below is a list of players representing the United States for each Cup:
Fred Perry Cup - Men's 50 & over
1. Young Kwon, Marlton, N.J.
2. Rick Leach, Newport Beach, Calif.
3. Andy Stoner, Cave Creek, Ariz.
4. Arthur Hernandez, Huntington Beach, Calif., Captain
Austria Cup - Men's 55 & over
1. Michael Tammen, Portland, Ore., Captain
2. Kenneth White, Elma, N.Y.
3. William Moss, Malibu, Calif.
4. Stuart Saiki, Orlando, Fla.
Von Cramm Cup - Men's 60 & over
1. Ross Persons, Houston, Captain
2. Maxime Buyckx, Marietta, Ga.
3. Sal Castillo, San Antonio
4. Tim Garcia, Santa Fe, N.M.
Maria Esther Bueno Cup - Women's 50 & over
1. Rosalyn Nideffer, San Diego, Captain
2. Jenny Klitch, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
3. Nathalie Herreman-Bagby, Pacific Palisades, Calif.
4. Shelly Works, San Antonio
Maureen Connolly Cup - Women's 55 & over
1. Tracy Houk, Montara, Calif., Captain
2. Vicki Vasicek Buholz, Dallas
3. Judy Newman, Scotts Valley, Calif.
4. Tracy Thompson, San Diego
Alice Marble Cup - Women's 60 & over
1. Diane Barker, Daniel Island, S.C.
2. Susan Wright, Grand Junction, Colo.,
3. Patricia Purcell, St. Louis
4. Leslie Airola-Murveit, Portola Valley, Calif.