USTA Leagues are part of a National adult recreational tennis program for men and women players. League play is offered in several skill levels from novice to advanced abilities. The Leagues offer singles and doubles team competition from local, district and sectional levels. Many of these offerings culminate with a National Championship played in one of several locations.
USTA Leagues are open to all USTA members, ages 18 and over, whose playing skills meet the eligibility standards of any one of seven levels of play in singles or doubles for men’s, women’s and mixed divisions. These are defined by the National Tennis Rating Program and include 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0 and Open. Click here to learn more about NTRP.
To learn more about the USTA League program in the Chicago District, including format of play, progression, etc., see information below. Click here if you're ready to play and need help finding a team.
Latest League News
May 7, 2021
To help accommodate needed reschedules as a result of Winter and Summer overlapping (Oh, Covid....), the Summer Season for the following leagues will be extended to 8/22/21. Player registration will be adjusted accordingly with a deadline of 8/8/21:
- Mixed 18&O
- Mixed 40&O
- Mixed Combo
Click here for League news: January-May
- Fall 2020/Early Start 2021 (September to December) Team Application Deadline: July 31, 2020
- Winter 2021 (January-April) Team Application Deadline: November 6, 2020
- Summer 2021 (May-July) Team Application Deadline: March 19, 2021
There are approximately 300 captains that help make USTA League play possible in Chicago. Learn more about what they do and find captain resources below. What it means to be a captain:
- Be familiar with the structure, procedures and local league, sectional and national rules, as well as the general rules of tennis to keep your team informed.
- Attend all local league meetings and be in contact with your local league coordinator in case of any changes made to the league.
- Recruit enough players to field a complete team for every match.
- Ensure that all players meet the eligibility requirements: Have a valid NTRP rating, USTA membership and be the minimum age for the league.
- Obtain a team number from your league coordinator.
- Distribute all materials to your team including: Team number, schedule of play, current rules and regulations and a list of team members with telephone numbers and emails.
- Confirm home and away matches and contact opposing team captains to confirm the date and time of match. Assist your local league coordinator in rescheduling postponed or delayed matches.
- Organize all materials necessary for the team’s participation at the championship level, if your team qualifies.
- Record match results on TennisLink within 48 hours (per regulations).
- Please note applications received after the deadline are not guaranteed entry into the League.
To find out more about becoming a Captain in the Chicago District or to get your League questions answered, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 847-803-2382. For help finding a league, click here.
League Rules and Procedures
- NEW for the 2021 Championship Year
- League Overview (updated 10/2019)
- Captains’ Information
- Team Match Information (updated 10/2019)
- Timed Match Information (updated 10/2019)
- Covid-19 League-Wide Protocols
- Covid-19 Club Protocols
- Q&A Clarifications on New 2021 Rules (updated 10/2019)
- CDTA Timed Match Scenario Discussion