League News - January
We're here to help you stay in the loop with USTA League news as changes happen throughout the Chicago area. Updates will be posted below as they become available.
January 25, 2021
CDTA Adult League play can resume immediately. While not all regions in the Chicago District have moved to Tier 1, we received additional information from the government that confirmed the adult league format of play is allowed under the current mitigations.
*Scheduled Matches for 1/29-31 are officially on! However, please show flexibility if a captain needs to reschedule.
*Any un-played matches from Fall, ESL or Winter should be rescheduled between captains. While we realize that rescheduling takes a lot of effort on our captain's parts, coordinating between captains will allow you to reschedule whenever it is convenient for both teams which would include using weekdays and split match times.
*To make rescheduling a bit easier, we have extended all seasons:
- Fall/Combo 2020 - matches can be rescheduled through 2/15/21
- ESL 2021 - Season has been extended and matches can be rescheduled through 3/31/21
- Winter 2021 - Season has been extended and matches can be rescheduled through 5/31/21
*Please review your schedules and note that some teams have dropped out of the Winter Season. We are in the process of reviewing affected schedules to see if any additional changes may be required.
January 20, 2021
We are thrilled that things have finally moved in the right direction and all regions in the Chicago District are in Tier 2. We were planning for a return to League play in Tier 2 but mitigations were updated on January 15 which complicated those plans. Here is where we stand now:
- CDTA Adult League play will begin when all regions reach Tier 1. This could happen very soon, so we are hoping to restart play and resume the Winter Schedule by 1/29/21. Since last week, we have been coordinating with League host facilities to understand their timeline for restarting the Winter Season according to the published schedule. Some clubs are ready to go immediately. Others may need more time. Be sure to check in with your home club to confirm court times.
- Masks are currently required during play at some clubs and that requirement may continue into Tier 1. (We are asking clubs to provide us with their most up to date Covid protocols so that we can update that info on our website.) We understand the mask requirement as well as the current Covid environment may be uncomfortable for some. Captains, If you can no longer field a Winter League team because of this, please let us know by Friday 1/22 at 5:00 p.m. We'd like the opportunity to update the Winter Schedule, if necessary, before play begins on 1/29/21. There will be no questions asked and no penalties for dropping out of a flight.
- Winter registration will open immediately. Please note, however, that we will NOT be able to refund any registration fees. If players have concerns about wearing a mask or the number of matches that will make up the season, please make sure they are aware of our no-refund policy prior to registering.
- The minimum number of required, at-level players will need to be registered by 2/12/21 (assuming a 1/29/21 league start date.)
- Rescheduling of un-played matches will be done between captains for ESL/Fall and Winter. We ask that captains continue to show the patience and flexibility you have already exhibited during these uncertain times. Please remember that rescheduled matches can take place on any day or any time that is agreed upon by both captains/teams. You do not have to abide by the Weekend League day/time rules when rescheduling.
- Fall 2020 Combo league season has been extended to 2/15/21 to accommodate un-played matches. State Combo Championships are currently scheduled for 2/27 & 2/28. Registration for new players to these teams will remain closed.
- ESL 2021 leagues season will be extended to 3/31/21 to accommodate un-played matches. Registration for new players to these teams will remain closed.
January 15, 2021
Unfortunately, no Chicago District Region has met the metrics to move out of Tier 3 as of today. As such, USTA League play remains suspended and it is still unclear when it can resume -- We need all regions within the Chicago District to be out of Tier 3 to restart Adult League play.
We are currently reconnecting with clubs on a proposed timeline for the resumption of ESL/Fall and the start of the Winter Season. We know you need time to register your players for Winter. We are very sensitive to that fact and will continue to share information with you as soon as we have it. REGISTRATION FOR WINTER WILL REMAIN CLOSED WHILE LEAGUE PLAY IS SUSPENDED.
When League play does resume, the CDTA will defer, as in the past, to each individual facility's Covid protocols. Some facilities' protocols may go beyond Government mandates (for example, requiring face masks during play). We are working with each host site to get their updated Covid safety guidelines so that we can add them to our website. All USTA players will be expected to respect and follow the protocols as specified and enforced by each club.
January 11, 2021
We hope you are well and share in our optimism for a better year. As you are probably aware, in the Governor’s recent press conference, there was an indication that we may be able to move out of the current Tier 3 mitigations as soon as 1/15/21. If that happens, we believe Adult League play could resume effective the same day.
Please note that all regions within the Chicago District would need to reach the necessary metrics in order for league play to begin again. Assuming the metrics are met and play can start as soon as 1/15/21, we have developed the following plan:
Fall 2020/ESL 2021:
- 80% of matches were complete before the suspension of play. We know most players want to finish these seasons so that flight winners can be determined. As a result, we will extend these seasons to allow captains to reschedule any of their un-played matches.
- Fall 2020 Combo leagues will be extended to 2/15/21. State Combo Championships are currently scheduled for 2/27 & 2/28 and will be hosted by Mid-South Illinois. Fingers crossed that the championships will be allowed!
- NOTE: Rescheduled matches can take place on any day or any time that is agreed upon by both captains/teams. You do not have to abide by the Weekend League day/time rules when rescheduling. We encourage as much flexibility as possible including split match times.ESL 2021 leagues will be extended to 3/31/21.
- NOTE: Rescheduled matches can take place on any day or any time that is agreed upon by both captains/teams. You do not have to abide by the Weekend League day/time rules when rescheduling. We encourage as much flexibility as possible including split match times.
- The current published schedule will remain as is. Captains can find their Winter team # and schedule by logging in to TennisLink, clicking on the “My Teams” tab and then choosing the “Team Management” option.
- Matches scheduled for the past weekend, 1/8-1/10, will need to be rescheduled between captains.
- Matches scheduled for the weekends of 1/15-17 and 1/21-24 can be played, as scheduled if both captains/teams are able to roster a team. However, if either captain wants to reschedule, the match must be rescheduled – no questions asked. Captains can begin communicating now, if they like, to see if teams are willing to be ready and waiting for the possibility of a match.
- REMINDER – Be sure to check in with your home club to confirm court times for all winter matches, especially those scheduled in January.
- Matches scheduled 1/29/21 or after will be played on schedule or rescheduled according to league rules.
- Registration will open as soon as the suspension of play is lifted, potentially 1/15/21. We realize this does not provide a lot of lead time between registration and the start of play. However, the complexity associated with potentially providing refunds when registration fees are split 3 ways (National, Midwest, District) is such that we want to minimize risk to everyone by not opening registration until we have more clarity on what the season looks like.
- Because of the short registration time described above, we will extend the deadline for the minimum number of required players (at level) to 1/29/21.
- It is unclear if masks will be required once mitigations are loosened. We will notify all captains when registration opens and will confirm the ruling on masks. If masks are required at all facilities and your team can/will not play with masks, please let us know as soon as possible and we will remove your team from the flight. Please also be sure that your players are aware of mask requirements. Again, we are not in a position to offer refunds for registration fees.
- REMEMBER: TennisLink has added a feature where you can indicate if your team is looking for new players. Please reach out to Nancy Manolis if you’d like to update your team status or have questions on how this feature works.
Chuck CunninghamFebruary 26, 2021Get to know official Chuck Cunningham! Read More
League News - JanuaryJanuary 25, 2021Read the latest updates to USTA League play in the Chicago area. This page will be updated throughout the month of January. Read More
Tournament Director UpdateNovember 16, 2020USTA Chicago hosted webinars in November to assist Tournament Directors with onboarding to the Serve Tennis platform that will be used to complete tournament applications and will be the vehicle through which players will search, select and register for tournaments beginning January 1, 2021. Read More