An Evening to Remember
November 5, 2018
Please join us in honoring our award winners at this year's Awards Banquet.
Saturday, November 17, 2018 | Ala Moana Hotel
5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
5:30 pm No-Host Cocktails & Silent Auction Bidding
6:30 pm Program Begins
RSVP Deadline: Friday, November 2, 2018
Online Silent Auction
Score great deals on hotel stays, tennis racquets, gift cards and more!
CLICK HERE TO BID
Congratulations to our 2018 Award Winners! Please join us in recognizing these outstanding individuals at the banquet.
- Tennis Hall of Fame: Rosie Bareis and Rose Thomas
- President's Award: Rick Fried
- Distinguished Service Award: Pom Luxton
- Community Excellence Award: Kyle Hiranaga
- Facility of the Year: The Mauna Lani Resort and Bungalows
- Organization of the Year: Kailua Community Tennis Association
- Family of the Year Award: The Lam Family (David, Michele, Kawika, Kailuhia and Kalena)
- Jim Howe Sportsmanship Award: Hunter Fujimori & Taryn Fujimori
- Kauai District Service Award: Carla LaFratta
- Maui District Service Award: Petra DuPont
- Oahu District Service Award: Diane Sugahara
- East Hawaii District Service Award: Dave Okamura
- West Hawaii District Service Award: Melissa & Hayden Virtue
Our evening will include a live performance by the talented Imua Garza. Imua is a vocalist, musician, producer, recording engineer and composer. He first appeared on a professionally released CD at the age of 11. About this time Imua started playing in his first music group, Opihi Pickers. Ten years, seven albums later, the Opihi Pickers have become one of Hawaii's most beloved bands with several #1 radio hits. Since that time Imua has become an accomplished producer, recording studio engineer and musical arranger and has appeared on hundreds of songs. Some chart topping, award winning bands he's produced or worked with include Rebel Souljahz, Kolohe Kai, Kimie, Katchafire, Natural Vibrations, John Cruz, Streetlight Cadence, Weldon Kekauoha and Kuana Torres. For more information about Imua's music, visit his website at www.imuagarza.com.
About Rosie Bareis and Rose Thomas, 2018 USTA Hall of Fame Inductees
Rosie Bareis and Rose Jones put Hawaii tennis on the map during their time as co-captains and doubles partners at the University of Hawaii. In the four years that they played on the UH Rainbow Wahine Tennis Team, the university held a record of 138-14 with an impressive 50-match win streak. As the No. 1 doubles team, they were unbeatable in Hawaii from 1978-1987.
The duo also won 12 tournaments during their careers, including the 1983 Sugar Bowl, where Rosie & Rose – a two-person team – took home the doubles championship title after defeating six-member teams. Rosie also won the singles championship while Rose reached the semifinals, leading the University of Hawaii to accumulate enough points to edge nationally ranked Arizona State. In her senior year, Rose was awarded the Jack Bonham Award as UH’s top senior student-athlete. Both were named two of the “Top 10 Hawaii Players of the Century” by Hawaii Tennis News and were the first tennis players to be inducted to the UH Sports Circle of Honor.