USTA Missouri COVID-19 FAQ
Below are some answers to questions you might have regarding USTA Missouri Valley programs and COVID-19.
1. Now that Adult League and Junior Team Tennis (JTT) Nationals are canceled for 2020, does that mean Adult League Section Championships and JTT Sectional Championships will be canceled as well?
Yes, all USTA Missouri Valley JTT and Adult League Section Championships, including Mixed, will be canceled for 2020. There are no plans to reschedule these events in 2020. District Adult League and JTT coordinators are busy working on local league and JTT play opportunities once tennis is back open for business. Districts will concentrate on developing local play that encourages social distancing, competition, fun and of course, tennis.
2. Why are the USTA Missouri Valley Section Championships canceled?
USTA Missouri Valley has made the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Section Championships. We understand that this may be very disappointing for our players, but health and safety remain the USTA’s top concerns. With that being said, we are committed to getting our players back on the court as soon as it is deemed safe to do so. Our hope is for the districts to offer vibrant local summer leagues. They are working diligently to develop innovative play options once tennis is open for business again. Without being confined to section dates, districts will have more flexibility to schedule these leagues right through August. In addition, prioritizing local play will hopefully provide support to local facilities, who have been greatly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Will there be District League Championships?
Yes, USTA Missouri is currently planning on having District League Championships.
4. Are JTT and adult local leagues that have not completed—or didn’t start yet—canceled?
No, they are not canceled. USTA Missouri plans on having Adult Leagues and a shortened JTT summer July season. If the start date is actually on June 1, Adult Leagues will begin on June 8 and will have a Flex League format.
5. When will the new junior and adult standings be published?
The determination has also been made to suspend the calculation and publication of the National Standings List (NSL) for Adult, Junior and Wheelchair play until further notice. The NSL published on March 18, 2020 will serve as the most current until tournament competition resumes. The junior USTA Missouri Valley standing published on March 12 and the adult standings published on February 28 will serve as the most current until tournament competition resumes.
6. Will my expiring membership get extended?
Expiring memberships will not be extended at this time.
7. Can I register for tournaments whose start dates are after May 31?
We will continue to be transparent about the next steps moving forward for our programs and events. Updates from the USTA and USTA Missouri Valley will continue to be posted on this page. We have attempted to change as many tournaments as possible to the “tournament director selection process". This means that players won’t be charged an entry fee until after selection is completed, at which point we hope to have made a decision as to whether the suspension period is extended.
8. I am a tournament director. How do I select players for my tournament now that the tournament has been switched over to the TD selection process?
Click here to view an article from the TennisLink Help Center that will walk you through the steps.
9. Will there be additional tournaments added for the remainder of 2020 once we are cleared to play?
Once we are cleared to play and looking at the June 1 start date, USTA Missouri will play all of the tournaments beginning in June that are already published plus USTA Missouri will work on rescheduling all of the tournaments postponed due to the play suspension.
For more FAQs, please visit the USTA National FAQ page.