Tennis Facility Dedicated for Southern HOF Inductee Randy Stephens
The South Bibb Recreational Center tennis facilities have been dedicated as the Randy Stephens Tennis Center after one of the most influential leaders in Southern tennis over the last three decades.
Click here for a report by Macon-Bibb County on the dedication and video of the ceremony.
In a declaration signed by county Commissioner Mallory Jones and Macon, GA, Mayor Robert Reichert, the 23-court facility at Houston and Sardis Church roads will be renamed.
Here is a list of Stephen’s accomplishments:
- Inducted intos: Southern Tennis Hall of Fame, Georgia Tennis Professionals Hall of Fame, the USPTA Southern Tennis Hall of Fame and the Georgia Tennis Hall of Fame.
- Received the USTA Southern Jacobs Bowl in 2000, the Charles Morris Volunteer Service Award in 2003.
- Elected President of the following organizations and served two terms for each: USTA Southern, USTA Georgia, the Georgia Professional Tennis Association, Macon Tennis Association and the Southern Professional Tennis Association.
- Tournament Director for the Southern Closed 14s and a teaching professional for 20 years before becoming a financial advisor in 2007.
- Chaired numerous USTA Southern committees, including Junior Competition, Sanction and Schedule, and Nominating (twice and served two terms as Chairman of the Southern Tennis Foundation.
- USTA Southern Delegate and a member of the USTA Executive Committee, chaired the USTA Tennis Innovation and Wheelchair Committees and served on numerous other national committees as well as the ITF Wheelchair Committee.
- Ranked No. 1 in Georgia and in USTA Southern Men’s 35’s, 45’s and 55’s Doubles and 35s Mixed Doubles.
- Began playing tennis as a freshman in college and played on the Georgia State University varsity team in 1976 and 1977.
“It’s a tremendous honor for me that Macon/Bibb County have named the new tennis facility at South Bibb Recreation Complex in my name,” Stephens said. “I’m tremendously humbled and honored. I’m been fortunate to have received some nice tennis awards in my career, but this is so special to me and my family. I believe the game of tennis has the potential to change lives and I hope many people learn and improve their tennis games at the Randy Stephens Tennis Center for years to come.”
Macon’s best-known player is former WTA touring pro Jamie Kaplan. The tennis center at Macon’s Stratford Academy is named after her. She wrote in her recommendation letter, “Anywhere I go in the world and am talking to a tennis person and I say, ‘I'm from Macon, Georgia.’ The next thing someone says to me is, 'Oh, you must know Randy Stephens.’ Randy has had such a positive effect on Macon, Southern, national and international tennis. He is incredibly respected throughout the world and I feel it would be an honor for our community to have the South Bibb Tennis Center named the Randy Stephens Tennis Center. He has brought and continues to bring great recognition to Macon-Bibb for all he does for tennis."
USTA Southern Executive Director and COO John Callen is Stephen’s longtime doubles partner. He wrote in his letter: “Randy Stephens has been a tremendous supporter of tennis in the Macon-Bibb County community since the early 1980s. Our history together extends over forty years to the late 1970s when Randy and I were both teaching professionals. Randy was always looking to help others and help the sport of tennis. He has brought the enjoyment of the sport to over 10,000 people personally over the past 40 years and has touched the tennis activities of hundreds of thousands of players over that span. You would create immediate recognition of the facility, as the name Randy Stephens rings loud and clear across the tennis landscape."
R. Stephens TC DedicatedNovember 19, 2020Babb-Macon County names tennis facility for Southern HOF inductee Randy Stephens Read More
Roy Barth/Rhiannon PotkeyNovember 19, 2020USTA Southern Hall of Famer and famed coach Roy Barth discusses his book Point of Impact while Rhiannon Potkey talks tennis journalism. Read More
2020 Southern AwardsNovember 16, 2020USTA Southern announced the recipients of its 2020 awards, given for outstanding achievements in tennis both on and off the court. Read More