Junior Competition Opportunities
USTA junior tournaments are offered in a variety of formats, including individual, team, non-elimination and elimination. There are also competitions for wheelchair players. This wide range allows you to compete in a way that makes you feel comfortable, suits your level of play and helps you experience success. The tournament structure consists of seven levels of ranking tournaments, with the lowest level of intermediate tournament classified as a Level 7 and USTA National Championships classified as Level 1. For entry-level to intermediate players of all ages, a non-ranking series of events called the Net Generation Circuit will focus on age-appropriate competition, development and fun.
You can learn more about the USTA junior tournament structure here.
Junior Team Cup Competition for Boys/Girls 12s & 14s Taking Place June 11-13 – Register Now!
The Midwest Section will host a team cup competition for co-ed 12 and 14s teams this summer. The Section will handle players selections and administration of these events. Here is what you need to know:
- Event Date: June 11-13, 2021
- Tournament Level: Level 4 Closed
- Location: Co-ed 12’s (Greenwood, IN), Co-ed 14’s (South Bend, IN)
- Entry Process: Enter through Serve Tennis (playtennis.usta.com/tournament).
- Selection Process: 4 boys and 4 girls selected from each District by the Midwest Section using UTR. If a District is short players, the tournament alternate list will be used to fill remaining spots.
- Tournament Format: Traditional team format with 3 boys and girls singles matches each, 1 boys and girls doubles match each, and 1 mixed doubles match (total of 9 matches).
- Players responsible for their own travel and lodging.
- Player Entry Deadline: May 27.
- Entry Fee: $225/player. Includes coaching of team by District-selected Coach.
2021 Chicago Junior District Championships Schedule
Please note that the schedule for District Championships changed this year to avoid conflicts with the IHSA Boys’ High School Season. The District Championships are a Closed Level 5 event to only CDTA players; participation in this event is NOT required for playing in the Midwest Closed. However, two wild card entries to the Midwest Closed are given to each District. In 2021, the Chicago District will award those wild cards to the top two finishers in the District Championships who are not otherwise granted entry to the Closed. If there is a tie among players, the player with the highest USTA Ranking at the time of player selection will be awarded the wild card. NOTE: A PLAYER CAN ONLY PLAY IN ONE DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP PER YEAR. For example, a player who plays in the B16s CANNOT also play in the B14s.
FYI: The Midwest Closed is scheduled for June 19-24.
The 2021 schedule for District Championships in the Chicago District is below.
- Boys 18s – March 13-15 at Center Court Athletic Club in Hanover Park | COMPLETED
- Boys 16s – March 13-15 at XS Tennis Village | COMPLETED
- Boys 14s – June 5-7 at XS Tennis Village | Register Here
- Boys 12s – June 5-7 at LifeSport Libertyville | Register Here
- Boys 10s – Summer of 2021 | Date and location TBD
- Girls 18s – June 5-7 at Forest View Racquet & Fitness | Register Here
- Girls 16s – June 5-7 at Danny Cunniff Park in Highland Park (hosted by College Park) | Register Here
- Girls 14s – June 5-7 at Schaumburg Tennis Plus | Register Here
- Girls 12s – June 5-7 at Oak Brook Tennis Center | Register Here
- Girls 10s – Summer of 2021 | Date and location TBD
Declaration of Residency
Since the District Championships are a Chicago District Closed event, the player's profile on USTA.com must have a verified place of residency. Follow these steps to do so if you have not already:
USTA Membership is required to play in tournaments. To get your FREE junior membership, Click the JOIN button at the top of the page or go here to join the USTA.
Youth Progression PlayTracker
10 and Under (10U) tennis allows players to grasp the fundamentals of the sport. Participants learn about grips, preparation, swing path and ball placement. The equipment and courts are tailored to skill level, so kids can see their improvement and have fun right from the start. For those players ready for competition, USTA also provides play opportunities.
Click here for more information on the new 2021 USTA 10 and Under tennis program and PlayTracker.
USTA Sanctioned Programming
A low-pressure team environment introducing competition without emphasizing results
Innovative format with increased competition focusing on team results
Non-elimination format for individual competition emphasizing results & ratings
There are many of these events throughout the Chicago area. Contact Barb Rueth if you’d like more information about entering your child or hosting an event.
USTA Chicago District Team Cup Competition
Each summer, juniors from around the USTA/Midwest Section represent their district in an exciting team competition. The USTA/Midwest Section is one of the only sections throughout the USTA that hosts a team competition for boys and girls in the 12s, 14s, and 18-and-under age divisions. Matchplay consists of a round-robin format throughout the weekend and concludes with the top teams advancing to the championship match. Players are selected to participate based on their ranking, tournament play, character, and sportsmanship. For more information contact Olivia Denton at email@example.com.
District Cup events include:
- USTA Midwest Marian Wood Baird Cup (G18)
- USTA Midwest District Team Cup (B18)
- USTA Midwest District Team Cup (BG14)
- USTA Midwest District Team Cup (BG12)
Tournament Director Resources
- 2021 Nationwide Junior Competitive Structure
- Host a Team Challenge
- Host a Team Tournament
- Friend at Court
- CDTA Tournament Directors Guide L6-7
To schedule an official, contact Marilyn Goldman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opening Day in ChicagoMay 06, 2021Hit the courts throughout Cook, Lake, and DuPage Counties on the morning of Saturday, May 22nd to participate in USTA Chicago’s Opening Day celebration of tennis. Read More
Free Adaptive TennisApril 26, 2021Come out and try tennis the weekend of May 21-23! We're holding FREE intro to tennis activities to introduce adaptive and wheelchair participants to tennis. View participating locations. Read More
Free Tennis Intro in MayApril 05, 2021Come out and try tennis the weekend of May 21-23! We're holding FREE intro to tennis activities across the Midwest. View participating locations. Read More