Talking Tennis Southern Style podcast
Hispanic Heritage Month: NJTL organizer Belén Gómez-Jordana, former NC State player Ponch Ochoa
Talking Tennis Soutern Style promotes Hispanic Heritage Month. With almost twenty years of experience as a tennis teacher, Belén Gómez-Jordana founded the non-profit and NJTL United Tennis. In order to counter stereotypes, Gómez-Jordana created the Tennis for All program. She delivers group and individual classes at a very low cost. Gómez-Jordana volunteers on the USTA North Carolina Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Ponch Ochoa played for North Carolina State and cites his family background for launching his career. He is the son of French Open 1958 women’s doubles and 1959 mixed doubles champion Yolanda "Yola" Ramírez Ochoa. His father, Alfonso Ochoa, was also a top-level pro who played on the ATP Tour. We celebrate North Carolinian juniors Siddhant Dua & Smyan Vijay and the newest inductees into the Alabama Tennis Hall of Fame: Leslie Hewett Bashinsky and Dudley Reynolds.
Listen to the current podcast
Click here to listen to the Apple Podcasts Preview.
Click here to listen to the Spotify Podcasts Preview.
Previous 2023 podcasts
- Teaching tennis: Football star Leigh Torrence and coach Dr. Mark Kovacs
- US Open Wheelchair Tennis Tournament Director Jennifer Edmonson, Clemson Coach Chuck McCuen
- US Open preview: Martin Blackman on Gauff, Pegula, Fritz and Tiafoe, plus NCAA champ Carson Tanguilig
- “Second Serve” reaches out to USTA League players; Dr. Brian Hainline on the summer heat
- Atlanta Open draws native Christopher Eubanks and Georgia Tech player Andres Martin
- USTA coaches Martin Blackman and Atlanta’s Jermaine Jenkins on Americans at Wimbledon
- From ’Bama to UGA, two SEC tennis coaches reminisce about their outstanding careers
- Celebrating Juneteenth with USTA Southern award winners: Vanita Phinisey of Golden Triangle Tennis and D&I Champion Ezekiel Salama
- American prospects in the French Open with Martin Blackman and Darren Potkey on training the next generation of officials
- Huntsville Pro Circuit tournament and Colette Lewis of ZooTennis on NCAAs
- USTA President Brian Hainline and USTA Southern Marketing & Public Relations Chair James McKissick talk about National Tennis Month
- National Tennis Month with Greg Lappin and junior sportsmanship with Ernie James
- USTA Southern President & CEO Brett Schwartz and Christine Keys, mother of Madison
- USTA App premieres and Mike Eden: tennis collector extraordinaire
- Women’s History Month with Jaime Kaplan and Maria Cercone
- Black History Month with Venecca Green and Michelle Curry
- Black History Month: film producer Rex Miller and coach/author Art Carrington
- Awards winners: Cathy Greene (Spirit) and Crawford Latham (Tennis On Campus Leader)
- Atlanta native Alycia Parks, USTA’s Martin Blackman talk Australian Open, Jan. 5
Talking Tennis Southern Style - 2022 podcasts
Click here for the third season (2022) of Talking Tennis Southern Style, which won the USTA Georgia Marc Kaplan Media Excellence Award.
Talking Tennis Southern Style - 2021 podcasts
Click here for the second season (2021) of Talking Tennis Southern Style.
Talking Tennis Southern Style - 2020 podcasts
Click here for the first season (2020) of Talking Tennis Southern Style.